PDA

View Full Version : "Kernal Time" questions

Ajmukon
04-10-2007, 04:58 PM
1) What is it?

2) Is going above CPU usage (Ie the red line higher than the green line) a BAD thing?

3) My computer, since i fixed the slowdown continually problem, now just randomly SLOWS down, leaves images behind, with only TASK MAN. open, then usually freezes, at which time it makes a "POST BEEP" while windows is running and usually starts working after 2-5 min, but sometimes i need to turn it OFF and on again to fix the problem. Also, it does not like to shutdown at all?

I am wondering if this has anything to do with the Kernal?
(So i want to know, What is it- i always thought that it was the CPU, but now i am not so sure...)

Hagar
04-11-2007, 11:08 AM
The kernel time is used by the operating system (Windows). Most good operating systems are based on a kernel, which runs in a special protected mode on the CPU. Thus it is easy to differentiate between the CPU time used by the kernel and the rest.
2) No, it does not matter.

Using the Processes list in Task Manager should normally revel what process is grabbing the CPU cycles. But not always.
There is a better utility than Task Manger, called Process Explorer.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/ProcessExplorer.mspx
It can tell you if interrupts or DPCs are the cause.

Ajmukon
04-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Good, cause it spiked to 50%+ and the CPU was only using 7%