PDA

View Full Version : HD not found

blockie
04-11-2007, 01:01 PM
I had to reformat my primary HD. Reinstalled WXP and now the second Hd does not show up in my computer. Did before. Bios looks alright to these novice eyes.
What might be the cause?
:confused: :confused:

Fruss Tray Ted
04-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Is large disk support enabled?

What are your specs? Is this XP with SP-2?

Did you look in Disk Management?

blockie
04-11-2007, 02:55 PM
How do I enable large disk?
I am using WXP SP2.
Not in Disk Management.

Hagar
04-11-2007, 05:00 PM
SP2 has large disk enabled. Anyway, should be visible in Disk Management.
Can you see the disk in BIOS?
Have you installed the motherboard drivers (the CD that comes with the motherboard)?
If not you will probably have some yellow question marks in Device Manager.

Ajmukon
04-11-2007, 06:21 PM
try going to the HDD manufacturer to get the drivers for it.
Check the "Jumper" settings to make sure they haven't been altered- usually the default is OK,- also, go to the Motherboard Manufacturer and get ALL the latest drivers for it

Not updating the drivers can cause all kinds of problems, esp. after reinstalling the OS

Paul Komski
04-11-2007, 09:25 PM
try going to the HDD manufacturer to get the drivers for it.The native drivers for an ATA drive should be more than adequate.

Not in Disk Management
Is it in Device Management? Run devmgmt.msc and as Hagar said look for any problem devices.

blockie
04-12-2007, 12:13 PM
It is not in Device Manager either.
I notice that in Device Manager there is a yellow mark next to the RAID controler. Is that used for the disks?
On boot my C drive is recognized by the RAID controler but not the second HDD.
I cannot get a driver for the RAID device until I know the make and model. How do I find that, short of opening the computer?
I used to have a small program that scanned the computer and reported all the components and software but in the crash I lost it, Can't remember the name.

Paul Komski
04-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Some Boards have more than one RAID controller; often a Sis and a Promise for example. It's as well to get the drivers for it but you may just need to change the BIOS settings so that the "invisible hard drive" is not included in any array. However if you made no BIOS changes there's no reason for it to have changed, making it likely that some of the chipset drivers need sorting out. As long as Dev Manager has any conflicts one cant expect things to be working correctly.

Is this a big name PC: if so what make and model. Otherwise we need to know the actual motherboard. Belarc or Everest might give one enough info to determine what is needed.

blockie
04-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Paul,
The computer is a clone.
MOB is ECS M930LR 1.0
Clock Speed is 100 MH
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T 04/02/01
Only one drive listed and that is the 120 GB C: drive
I don't know if this helps or not. You may be able to tell me what driver to download for Raid from above info. I can't.
Bill
PS The Belarc Report has the wrong extension for me to send it to you.

blockie
04-12-2007, 07:06 PM
I just ran a test with CheckIt ( a small program that you boot the computer with and it checks and tests various components) and it found both HDD's Numbered 0 and 1. Now that I know that the HDD #1 is there how do I get WXP to recognize it even if it is not in Disk Management. I suspect Raid driver but I don't know which one to get.

Bill

Ajmukon
04-12-2007, 08:14 PM
try to make sure it is enabled on the BIOS...
if it is not "on" WINDOWS WILL NOT DETECT IT...
if it is on, i do not know what to do, i will be honest
usually F2 and look around for a list of RAID CONTROLLERS
there will be a list 0-4(depending on the amount of SATA hookups you have)
Make sure it is "enabled" or on "auto-detect"

Paul Komski
04-12-2007, 08:56 PM
I have searched around and cannot find drivers for an on-board RAID nor is there any mention of RAID in the manual from http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Downloads/ProductsDetail_Download.aspx?DetailID=8&DetailName=Manual&DetailDesc=M930L&MenuID=30&LanID=2
Of course it may not be the correct manual but its the closest match I could find.

I think you need to open the case and see just what is connected to what. It looks to me as if you may have RAID controllers on a PCI card and if that is the case you need to identify the PCI card and get the drivers for it.

blockie
04-12-2007, 10:03 PM
I think your right ,Paul. A driver scan program, I found, indicates that the RAID driver is not working. Because I am disabled I won't be able to get in the case for awhile. I do remember that both drives are connected to the MOB with a single ribbon cable, if that is any help. Would the RAID conbtoller have any drives attached? As you can see I am not very familiar with the inside of the case.

blockie
04-12-2007, 10:51 PM
:p :p :p :p
Hooray !!! Finally got it. Both HD's now available.
The RAID controller did NOT have a driver. Apparently lost it when I reformatted and WXP did not install it. Anyway I found a driver and installed, rebooted and as if by magic the the second HD was there.

Thank you everybody for the help. It steered me in the right diection.

Bill

Paul Komski
04-13-2007, 01:34 AM
Well done. Would be most interested to know which driver scan program you used and whether it found the drivers on the net or whether you found them for yourself on the web or on a CD.

Would the RAID conbtoller have any drives attached?
FYI The controller is a chip on the motherboard and the sata cables communicate directly with that chip. On some mobos, such as yours it seems, there can be more than one different chipset - probably both supporting two drives.

blockie
04-13-2007, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=Paul Komski;342955]Well done. Would be most interested to know which driver scan program you used and whether it found the drivers on the net or whether you found them for yourself on the web or on a CD.QUOTE]

Paul,
You can find the driverscan program at " http://login.esupport.com/?PHPSESSID=ac0f50b99d234157172d503ff87aa988". It is a $29 program that resides at the companies web site. The scan produces a list of all devices on your computer and tells you which ones are bad. It then recommends a download site for the new driver.

I found that the driver I wanted was intended for a floppy and I could update from there. What I did was download the recommended driver to a folder unpacked it and used the Device Manager to update the driver. When it asked for the location I pointed to the folder the driverf was in and clicked OK and "eureka" the yellow marks disappeared from the Device Manager.

I hope this provides the info you need. If not, ask again.

Bill

Paul Komski
04-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks blockie. Useful to know about but I don't think I'll be spending the money - just now anyway.

FYI there is software (http://www.zhangduo.com/driverbackup.html) that will backup existing drivers prior to reinstalling an OS (assuming one can still run Windows of course). The old "prevention better than cure" approach.