PDA

View Full Version : After Reinstalling the OS

Ajmukon
04-11-2007, 07:48 PM
I have noticed several people have come here with posts
of the like that start off with
"I have just reinstalled windows and i have this problem.... it was working fine before..."

before posting a thread here, TRY reinstalling AND updating ALL the DRIVERS for your system
A corrupt driver can cause headaches and major problems in Windows (or Macs)

Just a helpfull hint
Mods- feel free to delete this, if you want to

My usual proceedure too solve a problem
1) Notice a problem
2) Restart and Prey like H#ll it works (Usually won't)
4) Scan disk
5) Defrag
6) Reinstall culprit drivers
a)Graphic card
b)Motherboard
c)the rest of them
**Restart as needed
7) Bang head on table
8) Go to the PC guide and ask for help
9) Call tech support

Paul Komski
04-11-2007, 10:19 PM
I would just say that defragging seldom solves problems and can compound them. The reasons for defragging are generally just related to performance.

Always run scandisk before defragging.

Ajmukon
04-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Can't change it- will not let me edit
Usually i run them quite quickly after one another

PrntRhd
04-12-2007, 12:19 AM
Defragment was important for the older OSes on FAT/FAT32. It is much less important for NTFS systems.
Running Defragment when not needed simply causes wear on the HDD and advances failures.

Sylvander
04-12-2007, 04:09 AM
"My usual procedure too solve a problem"
What I usually do if I suspect a problem is caused by software is to restore a recent good image backup of C: made when all was well.
If that doesn't fix it [it pretty much ALWAYS does] then it probably isn't a software problem after all, but a hardware or BIOS problem [I usually don't get those].

Paul Komski
04-12-2007, 04:29 AM
Can't change it- will not let me editPost your edit and I will change it for you.

Ajmukon
04-12-2007, 01:09 PM
switch #4 and 5= I made an error in the post...

"My usual procedure too solve a problem"
What I usually do if I suspect a problem is caused by software is to restore a recent good image backup of C: made when all was well.
If that doesn't fix it [it pretty much ALWAYS does] then it probably isn't a software problem after all, but a hardware or BIOS problem [I usually don't get those].

After reinstalling the OS, you usually do not want to do a system restore, or copy a image file on to the HDD (The malware might return...)

Paul Komski
04-15-2007, 07:22 AM
Restoring an image file taken after a previous reinstallation is a much quicker method (than reinstalling all over again) to get a clean system running again particularly if all the drivers and must-have applications were included in that image file.

Malware can of course return if it was in existence when a previous restore point or image file was made. Not many folks round here recommend using System Restore, except as a last resort when there are no other fixes available.