PDA

View Full Version : System restore will not go back a couple of weeks

DLeonR
04-11-2007, 10:48 PM
I built a computer for a good friend of mine abut two years ago. It has windows XP pro. Installed. His son did something to the computer, and now he want to restore the computer back to a couple of weeks back, but when he tries to do the restore, the computer will only go back to April 2 of this year. What can I have him do to restore the computer back a couple of weeks.
Thanks in advance for the reply.

Ajmukon
04-11-2007, 10:56 PM
Nothing sorry (at least as far as my knowledge goes)
The system restore points past April 2 have been deleted, and i do not think that it is possible to "restore those" points

Paul Komski
04-12-2007, 03:57 AM
There may be no restore point that he can go back to but perhaps his problem (if we knew what that was) is resolvable.

DLeonR
04-12-2007, 08:01 AM
My question would be, what cause the restore point to be deleted. I think I have seen that problem before a long time ago, and windows had to be re-installed, but what causes that problem (restore points deleted).
The problem he is having is, that is kid had something installed and the computer came to a crawl. He tried deleting the program but things are not getting better, so he called me, and ask what he could do, so I told him to use the system restore and that is when he told me about the restore not able to go back. I know it worked before. He had his computer here at my house around August last year and I used it to restore the computer back a few days.

Paul Komski
04-12-2007, 08:47 AM
In the System Restore Settings (RClick My Computer >> Properties) one can set the maximum space reserved on each hard drive. If this isn't adequate only the most recent restore point(s) would be preserved.

Personally I have always found System Restore to be a very blunt and inaccurate tool at the best of times (as well as bloating the system, storing copies of malware and using unnecessary system resources) and prefer to make my own image files of the system drive myself and be in total control.

Never leave to Micorosoft what you can do for yourself is not a bad axiom.

DLeonR
04-12-2007, 09:39 AM
In the System Restore Settings (RClick My Computer >> Properties) one can set the maximum space reserved on each hard drive. If this isn't adequate only the most recent restore point(s) would be preserved.

Personally I have always found System Restore to be a very blunt and inaccurate tool at the best of times (as well as bloating the system, storing copies of malware and using unnecessary system resources) and prefer to make my own image files of the system drive myself and be in total control.

Never leave to Micorosoft what you can do for yourself is not a bad axiom.

Ok Paul, how do you go about making the image files of the system drive? And do you store that image on the HD? Please explain.
Thanks

Paul Komski
04-12-2007, 10:44 AM
If you want to save the images on the same hard drive it must first be partitioned since you cant make a partition image and store it on itself; another partition must be chosen to store it on.

Alternatives are to save the image files to an external hard drive or to CD/DVD, where they are safer but not as quick to access.

BiNG (in my sig) will do any resizing and repartitioning and can then make the image files by running from a boot floppy, a boot CD or installed onto the MBR.

It's cousin ImageForWindows will run from Windows. Both are available from www.bootitng.com and ImageForWindows comes bundled with ImageForDos, which can also be obtained separately but is needed to reinstate a file made by ImageForWindows if Windows cannot be accessed.

Individual files and folders can be restored from the image files using the free TBIview from the same website or the whole image file restored thus putting the whole partition back to a previous snapshot in time; exactly that is.

There are other apps such as the completely free DriveImagaeXML but restoration isnt straightforward as well as many other more expensive stuff such as Ghost and Acronis - noting that with other apps you will also need to acquire a partitioning utlity into the bargain.

DLeonR
04-12-2007, 11:23 AM
If you want to save the images on the same hard drive it must first be partitioned since you cant make a partition image and store it on itself; another partition must be chosen to store it on.

Alternatives are to save the image files to an external hard drive or to CD/DVD, where they are safer but not as quick to access.

BiNG (in my sig) will do any resizing and repartitioning and can then make the image files by running from a boot floppy, a boot CD or installed onto the MBR.

It's cousin ImageForWindows will run from Windows. Both are available from www.bootitng.com and ImageForWindows comes bundled with ImageForDos, which can also be obtained separately but is needed to reinstate a file made by ImageForWindows if Windows cannot be accessed.

Individual files and folders can be restored from the image files using the free TBIview from the same website or the whole image file restored thus putting the whole partition back to a previous snapshot in time; exactly that is.

There are other apps such as the completely free DriveImagaeXML but restoration isnt straightforward as well as many other more expensive stuff such as Ghost and Acronis - noting that with other apps you will also need to acquire a partitioning utlity into the bargain.

Thanks very much for this information will try my hands at this. I can't remember if this guys drive is partitioned, I might have done it, it's quite a while since I built his computer. Thanks again Pual.