PDA

View Full Version : broken links

myan
04-12-2007, 01:40 PM
I am running widows xp, I have plenty of memory..two days ago, I download a google site, puter didn't work right after that so I removed the program, now when I click on links such as in my email or in windows messenger, or try to active my yahoo mail from messenger, nothing happens. Can someone please tell me what to do?
TIA

pentachris
04-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Hello myan, and welcome to http://pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif! :)

Can you tell us exactly what you mean by "downloaded a google site?"

myan
04-12-2007, 04:02 PM
To be honest...I cannot remember what exactly it was....just something extra google was offering....but I removed it completely from computer

pentachris
04-16-2007, 11:51 AM
You'll get better help from the forums if you respond on the forums instead of sending email. I've been away from the Internet for a few days and haven't been able to respond. But if you'd posted the same information here that you sent to me, I'm sure someone else would've joined in to help.

From your email, it looks like you downloaded a bundle from Google that included Firefox. I'd recommend keeping it and using it as your browser. But to fix the problem right now, I think Firefox probably set itself as the default browser, and now that it's gone your computer isn't sure what to do with http files. So...

Open Internet Explorer, find the Tools menu and select Internet Options (which is usually the last menu item under Tools). Then select the Programs tab and find the button that says Make Default. Click OK to close the Internet Options window. That should make Internet Explorer your default browser.

If links still don't open when you click them, go back to Internet Options, but this time look for the Advanced tab. Find the section that says Reset Internet Explorer settings, and hit the button in that section that says Reset.

Post back HERE IN THE FORUMS if that doesn't work, along with any other details you think might be relevant to the problem.

myan
04-19-2007, 07:20 AM
IT WORKED!!!! I cannot thank you enough for your help....that is exactly what it was....Microsoft IE was not set as default browser....I learned something new....I wish there were some way to repay you....I had email a "tech" from my former home town and after many emails to this person....they finally told me I would have to take puter in to get it fixed....HA! around here that is major for there is not a computer repair for 45 miles and then the extra expense and all it took was a click of the mouse.....r u a genius in puters???? I knew you could do it just from the looks of your system you have...that told me right away.
Once again....I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Elaine

pentachris
04-20-2007, 12:04 PM
....I wish there were some way to repay you....

Well, there is something you can do.

You might consider a small donation to the PC Guide Tip Jar (http://www.pcguide.com/tipjar.htm). I won't get the money, but it will help keep this website online for you and others to use.

Or, instead of trying to pay me back, you could "pay me forward" (to borrow a line from a movie...) Think of a small something you can do to help someone out in your community and do it. A few ideas to get you started:

Animal shelters are often in need of basic cleaning supplies. Stop by your local animal shelter and drop off a few bottles of disinfectant cleaning solution and some paper towels.
Check in on your elderly neighbor who lives alone or doesn't drive well. Ask him if there's an errand you can run for him.
Take a few bags of vegetables to a local soup kitchen, or volunteer to help prepare a meal there.

The possibilities are limited only by your imagination. Anything like that will make your community a better place and, by extension, make MY world a better place. :) :) :)