PDA

View Full Version : Removed Windows XP Related rom Add/Remove Programs-NEED HELP!!!

tiersa
04-14-2007, 06:41 PM
I removed Windows XP Related from Add/Remove Programs. I was told it wasn't needed and that it was malware that was incluses when iMesh was installed. When I removed it I lost all sound on my pc and now NONE of my music filed will play...I get an error that it doesn't recognize or support file type(mp3).

Paul Komski
04-15-2007, 04:08 AM
If its only mp3 files you will need to reinstall a program that will play them or associate the .mp3 extension with a compatible player.

tiersa
04-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Hey Paul! Thanks for your help but I have already done that. I have no sound whatsoever...not even system sounds. I am using Jukebox and have been for a couple of years now. I was going to try a system restore but apparently it was turned off...

Tiersa

Paul Komski
04-15-2007, 07:53 AM
Are there any problem devices in Device Manager? - Maybe the drivers need to be updated or reinstalled.

Have you tested sound by running DxDiag from the run box and are you sure that sound is not disabled nor turned down very low. The absence of system sound is a different problem than what you originally posted about (file type support etc) but maybe more than one thing was done to your program at the same time.

Have you tried System Restore also comes to mind.

tiersa
04-15-2007, 08:03 AM
Hi Paul! Sorry about not being more specific about everything...Once again, thank you. I just ran DxDiag and got an Error message: Error: Problem getting extra sound info, result code = 0x80004005 (Generic Failure). I am not sure what this means. Any suggestions?

System restore was turned off so I couldn't do that one. I lost all sound and my music files went from Jukebox icons to music note icons when I removed the Windows XP Related.

Tiersa

tiersa
04-15-2007, 08:39 AM
I really do appreciate all the help. I am at a complete loss...