PDA

View Full Version : My USB external hard drive is detected, but I cant see its contents.

Manjiri
04-15-2007, 07:57 AM
I have a 80 GB, external hard drive from Hitachi.
A couple of days back it was plugged into a laptop, and my friend accidentally dropped it on the floor, a fall of 6-7 inches. From then on, whenever I plug it in my PC's USB port, it is detected, but its partitions(3 in all) are not visible.
The PC too becomes sluggish, when I try plug it in.
The drive is but 4 months old, but I do not want to lose data on it, as it amounts to almost 75 GB.
Does anybody have any idea what could be wrong?

classicsoftware
04-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Welcome to http://www.pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif forums.

I get the feeling the drive has been damaged.

Does the drive show up in disk management?

Depending on the file system, you might be able to get to the data with GetDataBack. (http://www.runtime.org/faq_gdb.htm)

Manjiri
04-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Actually, the partitions show up sometimes(rarely), sometimes(most of the time) they dont. So far I could see contents of one drive, once or twice. But if I attempt any more operations, the system does not respond, and after some time when it does respond, the partitions have disappeared. The FS is FAT.
How much time and effort will the disovery process take? Since, the data involved is huge (abt. 75 GB).
I had actually tried opening disk mgmt, after plugging in the disk, but the staus bar says "Connecting..." indefinitely.
Any other way to be sure that the disk is indeed damaged and needs to be replaced?

classicsoftware
04-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Try Getdataback and see what it can do. If not, you either loose the drive or spend a fortune having it professionally salvaged.

Howe much is the data worth to you????

Paul Komski
04-15-2007, 11:55 PM
I always suggest removing such drives from their enclosures and adding them temporarily inside the computer since this takes any enclosure or USB problems out of the loop. That is also the best place to test the integrity of the drive with its makers diagnostics.

You could also try making and verifying an image file of the drive using BiNG - if it is able to see the drive from its boot floppy or CD. If you can make such an image you have something to play with if the HDD fails totally.

Manjiri
04-16-2007, 05:58 AM
I'll look at Getdataback, and BiNG, though the data is not of much value to anyone else, it represents about 10 months of my work. I cannot actually plug it to PC as internal drive by removing the USB adapter, coz it'll make my 5 yr. warranty void, will have to take it up with the dealer.

Paul Komski
04-16-2007, 06:09 AM
10 months work! It makes me cry that people don't do backups. Strongly consider professional help and although 75gig is quite a lot of data 500gig drives are becoming commonplace nowadays so if BiNG (or possibly its cousin ImageForDOS for imaging rather than copying) can see your partitions it might be able to copy them from one USB to another external drive. Once you have either a straight copy or a verified backup image of your data you are in an obviously much better position.

Manjiri
04-16-2007, 06:58 AM
I actually used the drive as back-up initially, but when my hard disk got full, I deleted the backed-up data from it to free space, trusting the External drive as the sole storage..