PDA

View Full Version : Move Documents & Settings problems

deddard
04-17-2007, 02:32 AM
I decided to shift stuff around on my PC.
Wanting to separate the OS and Apps from documents and settings, I followed the tedious routine of copying and then regediting as described in several articles including the MS site.
Moving docs and settings to a separate disk.
I could never complete the move though, as when I tried to move the current user, I got a 'can't move NTuser', and on the appropriate box in system> hardware>user profiles the option to move the current users was greyed out.

I tried switching to another admin account and moving the profile manually, and it looked fine.
Did the regediting and rebooted.

Now one of the accounts has it's documents and settings on a new drive, but whichever is the 'current' user always defaults back to the C: location.
Adding a new user also defaults back to C:
I know I edited the registry and found everything MS says to change, but I find that lots of things revert back to C: in the registry - anyone have any suggestions on this?
OS is XP Home SP 2

I think I'm going to have to go for a clean install with an unattend file (hopefully that will work), but I'd like to know what went wrong with the method MS outlines.

Paul Komski
04-17-2007, 02:42 AM
Did the regediting and rebooted.

When you regedited you would have made the changes for the then current user viz the Admin you were logged onto. The actual user's settings as current user would need editing only after rebooting. In other words move or copy (often more straightforward) the folders as admin and then update the registry when logged on as that user and delete the original folder if you earlier made a copy.

PS You might also want to have a gander at:
http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=50334&highlight=user+profile

deddard
04-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Tried everything, including a fresh install using an unattended file, but it still didn't work.
I wonder if this only applies to XP Pro?
using the Unattended file did create an 'all users' folder, but nothing else. I again tried the regedit etc, following everything carefully but it wasn't having any of it.
I won't waste any more time on this, it's sending me cross-eyed!