PDA

View Full Version : HELP; CANT even get the boot to start off

tad
09-02-2000, 01:47 AM
Hi,
I just finished assembling my first pc. After connecting the board to the P!!! 667 to a DFI ca-61 mobo with 64mb PC133
memory (dimm), and the createive 128 pci card and 8mb pine vga agp card and then to the monitor, keyboard, hard disk,
floppy drive, cd-rom etc and the power supply, I started the computer. A red light was visible in the motherboard as were the front panel power led. when i hit
the power on button, i could see the cpu fan start to spin, and then i can hear a momentary whirring sound from the hard disk or
the floppy drive (the floppy drive light stays on) and then nothing else happens. the monitor retains its faint blue light with
nothing appearing on the screen. Even the intial beeping which i expect with the boot process did not happen.(its an award bios chip...doesnt it always beep?)

i started off again and this time didnt even try connecting the sound card (as i had connected the speaker which is
attached to the ATX case to the connector (4pin) on the motherboard). I removed the memory and reintroduced it. then i
removed the cpu fan and cpu and connected these again. After connecting the power cables, i again tried booting , but to
the same end. no sound and nothing but the blue tint to the monitor.

Interestingly once i hit the power on button and the cpu fan starts whirring, icant get the computer to switch off by hitting
the same power button on the front panel. Instead i have to either pull the switch in the rear end of the computer case or
pull the plug.

Can you tell me where im going wrong. Heck i expected trouble elsewhere in the setup not this soon!

by the way the power from the case comes in three cables, one to the motherborad, the other two have 3 connectors
each. I needed to use only one to link the floppy drive, hard disk and cdrom drive. the other power cable wasnt used.
Also because the case was kind of cramped (not all side boards have screws, some have been bolted together...) so i had
to keep the floppy drive and hard disk in a vertical postion in order to reach the cables.

Anyway any input in this issue would help. i dont know whether is hould return the memory and try a different piece or what
not?

willygog
09-02-2000, 10:15 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tad:
Hi,
I just finished assembling my first pc. After connecting the board to the P!!! 667 to a DFI ca-61 mobo with 64mb PC133
memory (dimm), and the createive 128 pci card and 8mb pine vga agp card and then to the monitor, keyboard, hard disk,
floppy drive, cd-rom etc and the power supply, I started the computer. A red light was visible in the motherboard as were the front panel power led. when i hit
the power on button, i could see the cpu fan start to spin, and then i can hear a momentary whirring sound from the hard disk or
the floppy drive (the floppy drive light stays on) and then nothing else happens. the monitor retains its faint blue light with
nothing appearing on the screen. Even the intial beeping which i expect with the boot process did not happen.(its an award bios chip...doesnt it always beep?)

i started off again and this time didnt even try connecting the sound card (as i had connected the speaker which is
attached to the ATX case to the connector (4pin) on the motherboard). I removed the memory and reintroduced it. then i
removed the cpu fan and cpu and connected these again. After connecting the power cables, i again tried booting , but to
the same end. no sound and nothing but the blue tint to the monitor.

Interestingly once i hit the power on button and the cpu fan starts whirring, icant get the computer to switch off by hitting
the same power button on the front panel. Instead i have to either pull the switch in the rear end of the computer case or
pull the plug.

Can you tell me where im going wrong. Heck i expected trouble elsewhere in the setup not this soon!

by the way the power from the case comes in three cables, one to the motherborad, the other two have 3 connectors
each. I needed to use only one to link the floppy drive, hard disk and cdrom drive. the other power cable wasnt used.
Also because the case was kind of cramped (not all side boards have screws, some have been bolted together...) so i had
to keep the floppy drive and hard disk in a vertical postion in order to reach the cables.

Anyway any input in this issue would help. i dont know whether is hould return the memory and try a different piece or what
not?
[/QUOTE

Hi guy.. just went through that myself.. the first thing i saw is that your light on the floppy stays on that means that it is backwards on the ribbon either on the booard or the floppy itself. remember to look at the board for proper oreintation. and also the floppy connection. the reason it wont power downis because it is a atx config. you have to go on standby or power off at the keyboaard that will come later when you cnfigure it..you should get one beep only ,, that means good. three short,, video sometime 3short one long depends on the bios..now I aM A NOVICE MSELF but check that out and see where it leads you . email me dirrectly if tht helps andyu need more assist...Willygog

[This message has been edited by willygog (edited 09-02-2000).]

tad
09-02-2000, 11:58 PM
YUP The floppy drive was the other way around as you said. thanks

by the way, that portion of the problem was solved when i took the board to the vendor and he found it was a dead p111 667 processor that was responsible. however now the computer does not go beyond the post and doesnt respond to the win98 boot disk. ive posted this elsewhere so others can read it too.

thanks again