PDA

View Full Version : no sound

wombil
04-17-2007, 09:21 AM
Hi All,
A friend has had trouble with his pc and decided to reinstall Win. XP home.All his programs and newly installed games etc.seem to be working ok. The problem is that there is no sound.Looking through control panel and audio settings does not give an answer.Not muted or anything.All the boxes in "sounds and audio properties",are greyed out and the volume pointer will not move.There is not even a default device listed.Even the single beep from the bios setup and the fanfare when windows starts is not heard. All external connections have been checked.I am fairly sure that the machine has on board sound and therefore the XP installation disk would have found the sound and installed the drivers for it.Haven't looked inside for loose connections yet {it's late}Can't get back to it for a couple of days but there may be something that I am overlooking.Any clues will be speedily followed up.
Thanks for help Guys,
Wombil.

johnny_quest
04-17-2007, 05:59 PM
look for the yellow bangers in device manager and reinstall the audio driver
http://www.infopackets.com/graphics/device+manager.gif

Ajmukon
04-17-2007, 08:29 PM
1)Make sure you installed the drivers,- which would be evident by yellow marks in the Device Manager.- see previous post for explination
2)Make sure they (the speakers) are connected correctly (you have no idea how often i crossed the wires)
Not much else can be done at this point

Paul Komski
04-17-2007, 09:37 PM
I am fairly sure that the machine has on board sound and therefore the XP installation disk would have found the sound and installed the drivers for it.On board sound is no guarantee that XP would natively have the drivers.

wombil
04-18-2007, 03:36 AM
hey back again,
In control panel >sounds and audio devices>properties, the message is;
"No audio device".
In device manager>sound video and game controllers,the listings are;
Audio codecs, Legacy audio drivers, Legacy video capture devices,
Media control devices, and Video codecs.I have run "Update driver"
in all of these and the message is,"The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed".
Have also run the asus motherboard drivers disk.
The only yellow question mark in device manager is for PCI device which is a dial up modem not in use.Any Ideas appreciated.Could the sound on the motherboard be stuffed? It was some strange behaviour,screen flashing and fluttering and the pc turning on and off that caused him to reinstall xp in the first place.Every thing but the sound works ok.
Thanks for looking,
Wombil.

Paul Komski
04-18-2007, 03:54 AM
The Sound Card is not currently being detected - as long as you are sure the PCI device is a modem (in which case remove the modem or supply the drivers for it to take it out of the mix).

You can tell if sound is on-board by whether the sound/line/mic ports go straight into the motherboard and are not on a PCI card.

If any on-board sound is not being detected, then sounds like it has been disabled in the BIOS setup or is faulty.

wombil
04-18-2007, 04:17 AM
Hi Paul,
The only PCI device on the board is the dialup modem.
It's definately onboard sound.
I have looked in the BIOS more than once and can't find any audio listed.
Might see if I can find a PCI sound card and see if that works.
Thanks mate.

Fruss Tray Ted
04-18-2007, 05:36 AM
I'd still try loading the onboard drivers before bothering with a sound card.

wombil
04-18-2007, 08:47 AM
I think I have the drivers ok off the motherboard installation disk.Can't seem to find the sound device itself.

Whyzman
04-18-2007, 10:13 AM
What's the make and model of your motherboard?

wombil
04-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Hi whyz,
Motherboard is; ASUS P5V 800-mx
cheers

Whyzman
04-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Audio drivers....

http://support.asus.com/download/download_item.aspx?product=1&model=P5V800-MX

wombil
04-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks whyzman,
can,t try this till tomorrow.

wombil
04-19-2007, 03:31 AM
back again,
Have downloaded audio drivers;- Version 5.10.01.4150A for Windows 2000/XP
from the ASUS site.
Failed to install with this message from the wizard,"The audio driver files do not support your computer hardware".
Also tried the download for XP 64 bit with the same result.
Looks to me like this board is dying,would this be correct.
Thanks for all the help.

Paul Komski
04-19-2007, 04:27 AM
I suggest, as before, that you either remove the pci modem or install the drivers for it. If any devices have yellow exclamation marks don't expect your hardware to work fully. You have also indicated that no POST beep is heard during startup. Such beeps don't need any soundcard and if the system did beep on POST originally threre is some hardware problem somewhere. Some systems only produce a POST beep after exiting the BIOS setup or after new hardware is detected.

There is no indication that the on-board sound card is being detected (so there's nothing for the driver installs to work-on) and this appears coupled with some hardware problem. You could attempt a bare-bones boot with all peripheral devices including the RAM (but apart from the cpu and heatsink) removed. The system should beep when there is no RAM. If it gives you warning beeps then reinsert the RAM and add back the hardware one piece at a time starting with display and keyboard.

Resetting the CMOS or changing the battery are always worth doing when there are unknown hardware detection problems.

Maybe the board is on the way out so do look for any leaky or bulging capacitors. You might also want to try a Live Knoppix CD to take Windows out of the equation but since I think your problem is at the BIOS level that is unlikely to work, and particularly since this is a clean reinstall of Windows.

A cheap add-on PCI sound card, as you suggested, is also worth a shot.

wombil
04-19-2007, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the advice Paul.Apart from the sound everything is working fine.
I have to go away for a few days but will give it another go when I get back.