PDA

View Full Version : Quick Launch Bar problem

mike2002
04-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Windows XP Pro.

I've Googled this, but am still unable to find the (probably quite simple) solution. The program icons in my Quick Launch Bar used to be in a double row but, somehow they've gone into a single row, and I just can't figure out out how to restore them back again. (See screenshot).

Ajmukon
04-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Unlock the task bar, and resize the quick launch
see that bar that goes two rows? there should be one one the other side, just bring that one over until you get them to what you want

mike2002
04-18-2007, 01:29 PM
just bring that one over

Mmmm - not as easy as it sounds - I tried messing around with the two bars and managed to put the Language bar next to the Start button as well!

I corrected it, but it's so easy to get into more trouble!

mike2002
04-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Done it - but don't ask me how!

I'm just glad that it's back to how it was.

Thanks for the help.

Sylvander
04-19-2007, 11:01 AM
What I would normally do in that situation is...
Grab the small bottom separator on the left [get the double-headed arrow and click and hold with the left mouse button], then drag it to the right end of the taskbar, then up, then left at top, then drop it and it should be roughly correct.
Then just drag it to the left to get the position just right.

I notice you originally had the taskbar 3 spaces high [that would cause a problem], but now it's ok at 2 spaces high.

Do you know you can make the taskbar about as big as you like and drag it to any side of the screen?

Look at the problem I can create with mine just by dragging it to 4 spaces high!

Sylvander
04-19-2007, 11:09 AM
...And down to 3 spaces high...

Sylvander
04-19-2007, 11:11 AM
...And down to 2 spaces high. [problem remains, not eliminated]...

Sylvander
04-19-2007, 11:14 AM
...And drag n drop the lower separator [as explained above] to fix it.

Ajmukon
04-19-2007, 01:00 PM
It is kind of hard to explain how to fix it with only words
But that was the idea i was going for Sylvander
did not think to use pictures though...

Sylvander
04-19-2007, 01:57 PM
"A picture is worth a thousand words"...it really is.

The mind grasps ideas much more readily from a visual image than it does from the written word.

I wonder if that's because when we humans were evolving, the written word didn't exist...
But all around us there were vistas and views on the interpretation of which depended our very survival.
To be the hunter or the hunted.

"Tiger tiger burning bright, in the forest of the night..."

mike2002
04-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Sylvander: Hi.

I notice you originally had the taskbar 3 spaces high
I did that with the (false) impression that it would 'make room' for a double row of icons!

Do you know you can make the taskbar about as big as you like and drag it to any side of the screen?
Indeed yes - I imagine that almost everyone has done this accidentally, then wondered how on earth you get it back again.

But, while we're on the subject of Taskbars, here's another (minor) problem I'm having, but maybe it should be in a thread by itself.
My setting for English (United Kingdom) keeps reverting to 'US' all by itself.
I only realise it when I type certain characters, and a balloon pop-up reminds me that the character is invalid.
Is there a Registry fix that can make it stable. If not, it's no big deal just to correct it, as it only does it every couple of days or so.

Sylvander
04-20-2007, 03:57 AM
Do you need dual English capability?

If not, why not just revert to having only UK English installed as part of the Windows installation?

Paul Komski
04-20-2007, 05:10 AM
Change the default to UK English and remove US English or Hide the Language bar from: Control Panel >> Regional Language Options >> Languages >> Details.

If more than one language you can use the other buttons which are otherwise greyed.

http://i16.tinypic.com/2euh1sk.png

mike2002
04-20-2007, 06:48 AM
Paul: I removed the US setting from Languages/Advanced, but the Language bar still displays English (United States).

Paul Komski
04-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Try logging off and on again.

And use the Language Bar Preferences to hide the language toolbar on the taskbar. You don't need it if you only have one language and one display enabled.

mike2002
04-20-2007, 10:32 AM
After a reboot, the Language bar has gone completely. Before I posted that last screenshot, I had English 'Australian' listed as well as UK and US. I can't think how it got there!