PDA

View Full Version : Can't use system restore - Can't get rid of Device J:

scyce
04-20-2007, 04:43 PM
I have a Dimensions 9100 running XP SP2. I bought a USB IDE drive enclosure to get some data off an old drive. Evidently it was an old drive and either some old drivers got installed or I messed something up by pulling the USB cord out before I 'ejected' it... (I know I shouldn't do that) I'm trying to use the system restore feature, but I just think something is corrupt. When I try to use system restore I get a message:

'changes made to drive(s) J: after this point cannot be reversed because the drive was either excluded from the system restore monitoring, or was turned off or removed' - This is from the USB drive where I used the USD drive enclosure on the old hard drive. There is nothing in there at this point. I rebooted many time, tried safe mode, tried registry cleaner.... How can I get rid of this drive J:? Is it stuck in some registry setting?

After getting this message it will let me think it is restoring, but after it comes backup is says it was unable to restore, but no reason is given. I can't help but think it has something to do with this drive J: it thinks is there...

Any ideas??? Thanks for helping....

Paul Komski
04-21-2007, 03:35 AM
You need to give the USB drive a new disk signature by first filling it (or at least its mbr) with zeros in order for Windows to reassign it a new drive letter. BiNG (in my sig) can rewrite a new mbr for you. Then reboot windows and initialise the zeroed drive from Disk Management. Zeroing will destroy any data currently on that drive - but I didn't interpret that as being something that worried you - but writing standard MBR code is (usually) safe.

System Restore is not a DATA RECOVERY program. If you want to get files back then try GetDataBack (http://www.runtime.org) or similar.