PDA

View Full Version : Start up problems - Easy I hope

durhamblue
04-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Help

Every time I start my PC, Windows Media and MSN Messenger open automatically.

I can't ever recall setting it to do so but equally have no idea how to stop this.

Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks

Ajmukon
04-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Go to start>programs>startup and remove Windows media and MSN
if there not there... well i'm lost if thats the case
(you need to do something to the registry i think)

Sylvander
04-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Which Windows version are you running?
Vista is, I believe, the first to include its own Startup Manager.
If not running Vista, here's a 3rd party, FREE Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) by Mike Lin, that you can use to configure the various Startup settings in the various locations [registry and otherwise].

I've used it for years.
It does more than just allow you to untick & tick Startup programs for exclusion/inclusion...
You can also temporarily [can be restored] or permanently [cannot be restored] delete the settings that make them run.

There are 5 listing tabs in the applet window [see below]...
One for each of the locations that hold the settings.

Budfred
04-22-2007, 06:59 PM
If things that you didn't set start to happen, it is possible that you accidentally turned them on or it is possible that your computer is infected... I suggest that you post a HijackThis log so we can take a look and see...

http://www.merijn.org/programs.php

To run HJT, extract it to a permanent folder such as one you create like C:\HJT or the Desktop. Close all open windows and
browsers and make sure that all programs are enabled if you use msconfig. Run it and Scan, then Save the log.
When the log window appears, Right click to Copy it, open your browser and come here to Paste the entire log. Do
not make any changes until it is checked since most items are either benign or essential to the computer. Make sure WordWrap is turned off in Notepad before you post the log and use as many posts as needed to paste it all here...