PDA

View Full Version : CCleaner

gefeiora
04-23-2007, 10:07 PM
hi !!. 4 weeks ago my computer crashed . Only reboot never started. Somebody wiped out everything end installed windows xp again.It was slow but after that it is really very slow. This forum mention all the times about CCLEANERS that i decided to download it. They found 86 MB to be removed[ about 550 errors] Is it safe to allow them to fix those errors or i could end up worst.? thanks,gefeiora

PrntRhd
04-23-2007, 11:04 PM
Depends on what it found in the analysis. Some stuff may be temporary files used when programs were installed, some may be Temporary Internet Files from web browsing. We need more information before recommending action.

SufferWell1396
04-23-2007, 11:04 PM
Actually... if your computer is going slow, it could be due to a virus... Do you have any Firewall or Anti-Virus installed?

Go to my Sig and download HiJack This, then run a log and post it here...

Does it seem to be going faster now that CCleaner has done its job?

PrntRhd
04-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Does it seem to be going faster now that CCleaner has done its job?
SW, he has not removed the stuff with CCleaner, just wanted to know whether to pull the trigger on what it found.

gefeiora
04-24-2007, 11:01 PM
thanks, PrintRhd and Sufferwell 1396, for the advices. I bought a new computer 2 months ago, I use this one when my wife is playing games. Right now i have AVG free download, I had norton but got the computer too slow. I looked again,
and didn't understand. there's too many cookies files, temporary files, set ups, etc. looks like everytime i click the mouse shows there. What happen if i pull the trigger ? get worst, or crash again ? thanks for the help. gefeiora

Budfred
04-24-2007, 11:22 PM
If you let CCleaner clean up most of what it finds, the worst that could happen is that you might need to log into some websites that had cookies allow you to log in before... If you let it clean your Registry, it could crash your system... Simple solution, don't let it clean the Registry...

gefeiora
04-25-2007, 08:42 AM
thanks guys, i thoughtfirst was just click, and my problems would be over. But i realised, for me that just don't know anything about computers, just leave it the way it is for now, at least it's working, even that sometimes it don't respond and i have to reboot it, and see with hi speed how he performs.Thanks friends for your pacience.THIS IS A GREAT FORUM. gefeiora

Budfred
04-25-2007, 09:27 AM
I am not sure you understood... It is a good idea to run CCleaner, just don't let it clean the Registry... If it cleans out your Temp folders, it will help you computer run better...

However, if your computer is having difficulty starting at times, it is likely that you have a more serious problem... I suggest that you post a HijackThis (HJT) so that we can see if you might be infected...

http://www.merijn.org/programs.php

To run HJT, extract it to a permanent folder such as one you create like C:\HJT or the Desktop. Close all open windows and
browsers and make sure that all programs are enabled if you use msconfig. Run it and Scan, then Save the log.
When the log window appears, Right click to Copy it, open your browser and come here to Paste the entire log. Do
not make any changes until it is checked since most items are either benign or essential to the computer. Make sure that WordWrap is turned off in Notepad
and use as many posts as needed to paste it all here...

phkhgh
04-25-2007, 05:06 PM
hi !!. 4 weeks ago my computer crashed . Only reboot never started. Somebody wiped out everything end installed windows xp again.It was slow but after that it is really very slow. This forum mention all the times about CCLEANERS that i decided to download it. They found 86 MB to be removed[ about 550 errors] Is it safe to allow them to fix those errors or i could end up worst.? thanks,gefeiora
Yes, it's probably a good idea to run CCleaner (make sure it's latest ver - currently 1.39, I think).

No, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to let it clean the Registry unless you're an advanced user, and only then w/ caution & backing up first. In CCleaner, the "Issues" button is where the registry probs are diagnosed.

In the "Cleaner" button options, under the Windows tab, be cautious about anything in the report after running "Analyze" (but BEFORE HITTING "CLEAN") that says it's in C:\Windows\ path or subfolders. May be nothing shown there - just be aware.

gefeiora
04-25-2007, 11:45 PM
Budfred, I looked at local discC only 5.54mb used space. I try to do what you suggest, but may be you can tell me what i should clean by this list:
com/active entries----28
uninstall entries-------1
font entries-----------0
shared Dlls------------37
aplications paths------3
help file information----5
windows start up item 1
file path references-----240
programs short cuts----7
empty registry keys ----243
file association---------5
this is not from CCleaners.It' from RegCure, i think is the same?!! May be I should clean everything except "EMPTY REGISTRY KEYS" you think. it's OK ?!
Anyway with Hi speed is running a little faster, and i am afraid to touch wrong key.
thanks again. gefeiora

PrntRhd
04-26-2007, 12:04 AM
phkhgh

No, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to let it clean the Registry unless you're an advanced user, and only then w/ caution & backing up first.
This is good advice.

Budfred
04-26-2007, 12:47 AM
Budfred, I looked at local discC only 5.54mb used space. I try to do what you suggest, but may be you can tell me what i should clean by this list:
com/active entries----28
uninstall entries-------1
font entries-----------0
shared Dlls------------37
aplications paths------3
help file information----5
windows start up item 1
file path references-----240
programs short cuts----7
empty registry keys ----243
file association---------5
this is not from CCleaners.It' from RegCure, i think is the same?!! May be I should clean everything except "EMPTY REGISTRY KEYS" you think. it's OK ?!
Anyway with Hi speed is running a little faster, and i am afraid to touch wrong key.
thanks again. gefeiora
You were asking about CCleaner... Everything people have told you is about CCleaner and now you are asking about a Registry cleaner as though it is the same... It is NOT the same... What almost everyone in this thread is saying is that cleaning the Registry is dangerous... If you want to clean it, go ahead, but you are likely to screw up your machine... your choice....

I suggest that you not bother to ask a question if you are going to ignore the answers...

gefeiora
04-26-2007, 07:24 AM
Budfred, i am sorry if i upset you, so i apologize, but i thought they were the same, and because they were already classified was easy,for you to tell which ones to delete. I was wrong. I am going to try what you told me . thanks gefeiora

gefeiora
04-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Budfred, having problems with the scan . it came as a notepad and can not get in Here. I printed and is 2 sheets of caracteres all confusing. I will try again if i cann't do, I appreciate what you did for for me. Thank you very much and the others fellows.thanks.gefeiora

Budfred
04-26-2007, 08:31 PM
I assume you are talking about an HJT scan?? If so, please follow my directions which include breaking up that Notepad file into as many posts as needed to post it all here... Make sure you turn off Wordwrap first... If you don't know how to copy/paste, post back and we can give you directions...

If you are not talking about the HJT scan, I don't know what you are referring to...

gefeiora
04-27-2007, 06:50 PM
BLogfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.0 (BETA)
Scan saved at 1:07:56 PM, on 4/26/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXEedfred, see if is thie what you want. thanks gekeiora

gefeiora
04-27-2007, 06:53 PM
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1176225954\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Nikon\NkView6\NkvMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sistray.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Customer\Wireless PCI_CardBus utility V1.01\Wireless PCI_CardBus utility V1.01.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
c:\program files\common files\aol\1176225954\ee\services\antiSpywareApp\ve r2_0_11\AOLSP Scheduler.exe
c:\program files\common files\aol\1176225954\ee\aolsoftware.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\AOL 9.0\waol.exe

gefeiora
04-27-2007, 06:55 PM
\Program Files\AOL 9.0\shellmon.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\g\My Documents\hijack this\HiJackThis_v2.exe

R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiSUSBRG] C:\WINDOWS\SiSUSBrg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiSPower] Rundll32.exe SiSPower.dll,ModeAgent
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1176225954\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOLDialer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AOL Fast Start] "C:\Pro

gefeiora
04-27-2007, 06:58 PM
ay] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AOL Fast Start] "C:\Program Files\AOL 9.0\AOL.EXE" -b
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: NkvMon.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Nikon\NkView6\NkvMon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Utility Tray.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\sistray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Wireless PCI_CardBus utility V1.01.exe.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFF

gefeiora
04-27-2007, 07:06 PM
- Extra button: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - AOL LLC - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
O23 - Service: AOL TopSpeed Monitor (AOL TopSpeedMonitor) - America Online, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: InCD Helper (InCDsrv) - Ahead Software AG - C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, I

gefeiora
04-27-2007, 07:24 PM
Budfred. I am sure i'm making a mess in this forum. Like i said[ may be not] with the cable , i had Dialup before, is running faster now, so you can forget the matter, if it is too much work for you or i don't know after how to fix. I'm 70 years old, and i start playing with computers 5 years ago, so you understand . In any case i appreciate what you're doing. thanks. gefeiora

Budfred
04-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Budfred. I am sure i'm making a mess in this forum. Like i said[ may be not] with the cable , i had Dialup before, is running faster now, so you can forget the matter, if it is too much work for you or i don't know after how to fix. I'm 70 years old, and i start playing with computers 5 years ago, so you understand . In any case i appreciate what you're doing. thanks. gefeiora

It helps to know that you are new to computers... I have no problem offering some assistance if I can rely on you to use that to help yourself... You chopped the log up oddly and left out some lines, but what I can see suggests that it is clean... Your WinXP is badly out of date and will leave you very vulnerable to infection... You need to use Windows Update to install all security updates and particularly SP2... SP2 is probably the most important security update MS has ever released and running without it is just asking for trouble... You Adobe Reader is also very much out of date and older versions can be exploited by malware... There are a number of different ways to update it, let me know if you can't find the update...

gefeiora
04-27-2007, 10:33 PM
Hello Budfred, Now you know why most the times i don't fix but anything. there is already a warning about SP2 to update. I started 2 times and stopped because i thought it was.. scam.[is it wright word] I,m going to download -right now.I glad you don't see many problems. have a good weekend. gefeiora

gefeiora
04-30-2007, 10:00 PM
hi Budfred!! Well the adobe reader is done 8.0, but SP2 more than 2h and in the end, my system is not good enough. Starts with windows 2003 and mine are 2002.not even IE7. , but anyway i am going to try again tonight. By the way do you know what or where is ADVANCE MENU ? i need to install a printer Should i start a new thread thanks,good night. gefeiora

Budfred
05-01-2007, 12:29 AM
hi Budfred!! Well the adobe reader is done 8.0, but SP2 more than 2h and in the end, my system is not good enough. Starts with windows 2003 and mine are 2002.not even IE7. , but anyway i am going to try again tonight. By the way do you know what or where is ADVANCE MENU ? i need to install a printer Should i start a new thread thanks,good night. gefeiora

I am not sure what you mean about your computer "not good enough"... If it is powerful enough to run WinXP, it can and needs to run SP2... IE7 is an update to WinXP, so it will be installed if you go ahead and get the rest of the Windows updates that you need...

I am also not sure what you mean about "Advance Menu"... There are advanced menus for all sorts of programs, but I don't know of it being a specific program... If it is something that came up when you tried to install a printer, it is likely that it is the Advanced Menu of the install program...

wwwking
05-03-2007, 10:22 PM
After Repeating installing and uninstalling the software ,there will be tons of registry junk.they will make your ststem run slower than before ,even crash your pc ,so it is necessary to run a registry cleaner,however you should be careful to select the registry key you want to clean .

Budfred
05-03-2007, 10:31 PM
After Repeating installing and uninstalling the software ,there will be tons of registry junk.they will make your ststem run slower than before ,even crash your pc ,so it is necessary to run a registry cleaner,however you should be careful to select the registry key you want to clean .

And running a number of Registry cleaners, if not done properly, can make your Windows unusable... Did you actually read this thread before posting that advice??

gefeiora,

Please do NOT do that... You have indicated that you don't have the knowledge to use a Registry cleaner safely...

gefeiora
05-05-2007, 12:45 AM
hi Budfred. when i try to download SP2 it would stop andshow this" ensure that the location specified below is correct or change it and insert " windows xp files in drive you specified....".c\windows\system 32\dllcache " was highlight.
A guy look at that he told me the the installation of xp was wrong. he run another cd and installed SP2. 2 hours later i had 48 updates from windows, which i let run, before would stop. I didn't run CCleaner, like you told me. I am not sure if I'll do it wright. slow but working . this is just a spare computer.thank you guys. gefeiora.

Budfred
05-05-2007, 01:40 AM
If you are actually talking about CCleaner and not the other Registry cleaner, it can actually be a good idea to run it as long as you don't let it clean the Registry...

A safer alternative that can do most of the same thing is here:

http://www.atribune.org/ccount/click.php?id=1

* Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
* Under Main choose: Select All
* Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox browser

* Click Firefox at the top and choose:Select All
* NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click
* No at the prompt.

If you use Opera browser

* Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
* NOTE:If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

This one won't mess with the Registry, so I suggest you use it if you don't feel safe with CCleaner...

gefeiora
05-06-2007, 07:52 PM
hi BUDFRED. I only did that today.My 3 and 4 year grandchildren don't let me do anything. I wait till my daughter pick them up today. Well i did exactley as you said and BOOOM..message ....JUST FREED 78.6 MB. It's faster now, of course , you can change a WW into a BMW, !!!?Thanks for all your efforts to help me . Going to leave it like that for now. Can i use that program in the future? Good night. gefeiora

Budfred
05-07-2007, 12:37 AM
Yes, it actually is a good idea to run it occasionally since you will accumulate cookies and other temporary files unless you set up programs to keep them from downloading... I would probably run it at least once a month...