PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2000 help

mtotten17
04-26-2007, 08:17 PM
hey, i'm trying to install windows 2000 on a friend's laptop, but for some reason i got a bad installation. the CD drive will not read (even on bootup), the networking components nor IE work (no system tools show up in the start menu), and there's no floppy drive on the machine.

i'm clueless as to how i can get into a command prompt or some other way i can reformat it and start from scratch again.

any help?

Paul Komski
04-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Which laptop make/model?

Are you sure you cannot boot to the installation CD and, if not, have you checked the boot order of devices in the BIOS setup?

mtotten17
04-27-2007, 07:50 PM
it's a compaq presario 1700T.

the bios order has been configured so that the CD drive is #1 in boot order. the computer does not read it on startup, and when i try to access the drive in windows, it prompts me that the drive is unreadable, and do you want to format it?

i've never seen anything like this, and i know the drive works or i could have never installed windows to begin w/.

i've never opened a laptop before, so i preferably would like to find an alternative to taking the HD out, buying a laptop pin converter and doing it on my desktop.

are there any programs out there that could reformat it? i'm clueless

Paul Komski
04-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Check the D: drive for a Data Partition and see if it contains any Factory.*** image files. If so these files are the source files for running a factory restore of the whole system.

From Section 12.9 of the pdf manual (http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpb11798.pdf) (3.65MB):-

To perform a Full Restore on your computer, complete the following steps:
1. From the Windows desktop, double-click the Compaq Support icon.
2. Click the QuickRestore icon. The QuickRestore main menu is displayed.
3. Click the Full Restore button. The Full Restore menu is displayed.
Support Page (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=95248&lang=en)

mtotten17
04-28-2007, 12:50 AM
hmm... that won't be able to work. the hard drive is 10 gb, so i unpartitioned and deleted the D drive when i first began installing windows 2000.

the real funny thing about the CD drive not working is that the drivers are there, and it detects it (as in it shows that the drive is there in my computer) but it just won't read, even on startup.

i'm trying to copy some system files from windows 2000 on another computer onto the laptop. i'm also seeing if i can't jerry-rig an internet connection, which may help w/ getting windows update.

Paul Komski
04-28-2007, 05:00 AM
OK You have a CD Drive that wont read CDs in My Computer and you are, thus not surprisingly, unable to boot to a CD in the same Drive. I would say you need a replacement CD Drive. At the least try blowing any dust out of it with a can of compressed air and try a cleaning CD - they have a tiny brush on them which polishes the laser lens.

If you want to continue without a functioning CD Drive then while the drive is hooked up elsewhere either resize the current partition, add a bootable fat partition, add the i386 folder to it and then run i386\winnt.exe to reinstall OR get the image files from compaq and add back the deleted partition.