PDA

View Full Version : Can't watch videos

odannyboy000
04-28-2007, 11:42 AM
I can't watch video's anymore. It just started randomly. I can't watch any of my old movies like .mpg or .wmv or anything like that.

I can, however, still view quicktime movies on the internet.

I can't watch DVD's with PowerDVD anymore either.

ALL I GET IS SOUND and A BLACK SCREEN.

Any ideas? I have tried reinstalling windows media player.

Ajmukon
04-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Try reinstalling/updating your Graphics card driver

Sometimes a faulty driver can cause strange effects in windows

Sylvander
04-28-2007, 12:12 PM
If you haven't changed your hardware recently....

Make your software go back in time to when all was well.

Do you have any image backups of the Windows partition?

If not use your most recent restore point.

odannyboy000
04-28-2007, 01:00 PM
I haven't changed any hardware except for my CPU. That might actually be when the video stopped playing, but I can't remember for sure.

I rolled back my Catalyst driver from 7.4 to 7.3, which I know it worked then, but I still cannot watch videos that have been downloaded. I can stream video though, like on YouTube or ebaumsworld.com

I really don't want to do a system restore.

nucleostorm
05-13-2007, 03:13 AM
I can't watch video's anymore. It just started randomly. I can't watch any of my old movies like .mpg or .wmv or anything like that.

I can, however, still view quicktime movies on the internet.

I can't watch DVD's with PowerDVD anymore either.

ALL I GET IS SOUND and A BLACK SCREEN.

Any ideas? I have tried reinstalling windows media player.

I'd like a moderator to take this thread and pin it for other people's sake.
Many idiots spend hours, weeks and later even reformat/system restore their computer because they give up hope. And doesn't it just piss you off when things get so complicated when all you want is a simple answer?

I'll cut the bull**** and give you a 3 step guide into fixing this problem.

1. Download K-Lite Mega Codec Pack (Google it)
2. When you run it, it will ask if you want to remove old codecs. (Remove them)
3. After done installing the "extra's package" just to be sure you have everything, go to Start>Programs>K-Lite Codec>Config>RESET TO RECOMMENDED SETTINGS.

This takes less than 3 minutes to do. I am obviously no technician but iv'e spent hours to find a way to fix the black screen video syndrome without using any computer knowledge whatsoever. This however prooved to be the most effective way.

BartusCompater
05-17-2007, 08:58 PM
It kind of sounds like the original poster is running a laptop. I think I've seen this problem before, and agree that formatting the drive probably isn't the right course of action to take. Isn't there a setting within the Display Properties that can be tweaked?

I just know that with laptops you can go through quite a bit of monitor toggling, and sometimes videos like that are affected in weird ways.