PDA

View Full Version : "Not a Genuine Copy"

Vallan
04-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Hi,

My pc has just decided that I don't have a genuine copy of windows. I DO have a genuine copy!! Now that PC can't get onto the internet. What can I do? (XP home edition)

Thanks,
Val

odannyboy000
04-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Contact Microsoft over the phone or by e-mail.

Paul Komski
04-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Now that PC can't get onto the internet
Can you still boot to Windows. If so try browsing with Firefox if you had been trying Interet Explorer previously.

What are the exact messages?

Erik
04-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Uninstall the WGA update.

Ajmukon
04-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Uninstall the WGA update.
1)
What is it?
2)
How did you get that from the original post?

PrntRhd
04-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Ajmukon,
The message Vallan is getting is from Windows Genuine Advantage tool downloaded from Windows Update. Microsoft uses the tool to determine if the copy of Windows is legitimate before allowing downloads of updates and features and upgrades. There are known issues where the WGA tool sometimes declares the copy of Windows is not Genuine but the copy IS genuine. (False positive) Erik is suggesting the removal of the WGA tool latest download via Add/Remove Programs should stop the symptoms Vallan is experiencing with his Internet connection.

Vallan
04-28-2007, 07:38 PM
How do I find the WGA update?

If the computer is set on Automatic update, won't it just reinstall it?

Sigh.

Anyone got a number for Microsoft? !!!

Thanks.

PrntRhd
04-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, check the box for allowing view of Updates. The WGA Update should be one of the last updates downloaded, listings start with the latest.
KB892130 may be the one

First things first, get your Windows functioning, the fixing can follow after.

Ajmukon
04-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Ajmukon,
The message Vallan is getting is from Windows Genuine Advantage tool downloaded from Windows Update. Microsoft uses the tool to determine if the copy of Windows is legitimate before allowing downloads of updates and features and upgrades. There are known issues where the WGA tool sometimes declares the copy of Windows is not Genuine but the copy IS genuine. (False positive) Erik is suggesting the removal of the WGA tool latest download via Add/Remove Programs should stop the symptoms Vallan is experiencing with his Internet connection.

Oh, thanks PrntRhd, "WGA" is not an abbreviation i am familiar with for "Windows Gunuine Advantage Tool"
Thats why i asked ;)

PrntRhd
04-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Vallan,
There is a whole forum Microsoft set up to work on false WGA issues:
http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25
Like most Microsoft sites, it is advisable to use Internet Explorer browser to use that site.

Paul Komski
04-28-2007, 08:57 PM
It was also discussed here (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=54744) not long ago.

This whole MS messy area overlaps with other MS related issues such as Product Activation - but it is different from them. I didn't think that WGA should have prevented internet access (but I'm open to correction on that) and which is why I earlier asked the questions that I asked. It certainly can prevent obtaining certain MS downloads.