PDA

View Full Version : Problems with starting windows and getting blue screen of death for unknown reason

knicks
04-29-2007, 02:15 PM
hey guys really need your help here
i have a new pc i bought in dec. yet like 2/5 times when i boot up i get a quick blue screen of death that flashes but my pc is fast with bios load and such so i cannot see what it says but it flashes and then my pc restarts. when it restarts it then comes up with the black screen asking me if i want to boot into safe mode, etc and i choose last known config that worked because this option usually works for me
my question is when the black screen to ask for safe mode etc comes up wit says windows did not start successfully maybe because of hardware change how can this be? I have never tampered with anything inside the tower! so i am very confused i am not a pc rookie by any means but this really bothers me because my pc is running excellent otherwise. im thinking maybe it is something in the bios that needs fixing. i doubt it because i have it on default options and i made sure everything was in order. 1 boot from hdd first, etc. so i need your help
i have made some software changes recently but this problem has been happening on and off for a good 3 months so i dont think software uninstalltions is the problem.
all of my info is in this link for the specs and info of my pc
please guys i need your help
thanks in advance

http://support.gateway.com/support/srt/docs.asp?sn=CLP6981001749

in regards to this link for the parts where multiple hardware is shown i have the second hdd listed and i beleive it is a western digital and for the cdrw/dvdrw i have the hl-dt-st dvd-rw gsa-h11n and for vid card i have the NVIDIA GeForce 7600GS Video Card

Whyzman
04-29-2007, 02:25 PM
I'm assuming XP

Here: http://www.tweakxp.com/article36976.aspx

It would do well to know the error message...

knicks
04-29-2007, 02:59 PM
yes i am running win xp media center edition with all the new updates and rollup.

i cant tell you the error message because the blue screen flashes so fast and then my pc restarts. ill try disabling the autorestart after system failure.
ill try the link
any other help?

Whyzman
04-29-2007, 03:45 PM
The link outlines how to turn off the auto-reboot so we can get a look at the error message...

jlreich
04-30-2007, 06:33 PM
I would try running Memtest (http://www.memtest.org/). It sounds like you may have a bad stick of ram. Or if the ram passes run your hard drive diagnostics (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29081) from the hard drive manufacturer.

And if the system is still under warranty don't go messing with any hardware to much. Just call gateway. It doesn't hurt to test things, but I wouldn't start removing parts and such very much. Don't want to void the warranty.

Whyzman
04-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Don't want to void the warranty.Indeed, it is a common practice to put a daub of plastic onto the screws so they will know if you've been messin' under the hood...

knicks
05-01-2007, 10:07 PM
thanks guys all test seem fine i ran an lg diagnostic test because thats the brand of my hard drive and there were some errors but most were fixed by windows chckdisc. in addition my ram is error free and running excellent

i have a question i have the stat default basic warrenty and am entitled to upgrade to full various options and this offer will expire in 5 months SHOULD I UPGRADE TO FULL WARRENTY?
like is t worth it. i heard ppl do it and then never use it because the warrenty gives them a song and a dance around their problems.

i have noticewd that a lot of my problems seem to come in rmeoving bloatware/ other sytem default programs like gateway big fix, mc afree etc. i do it the correct way but it still seems like this is where the drama comes from. why put these useless programs on here in the first place all they do is take up ram.
avg is free why dont companies use that instead

jlreich
05-02-2007, 08:04 AM
why put these useless programs on here in the first place all they do is take up ram.
You have discovered one of the secrets to why OEM's can sell their machines so cheap. They have deals with these companies to put all this trialware crap on the machines they sell. People will often buy the full version because it is already there on the machine.

Keep an eye on the hard drive. If it is just a few file system errors that's fine. If it is some bad sectors on the drive it could be fine as well, but if it continues to get more and more bad sectors the drive needs to be replaced. Particularly if it is getting bad sectors at the front of the drive causing windows files to become corrupted and giving you the BSOD.

You will have to weigh the warranty option with how much it costs and how much you are willing to take on yourself. If your regular warranty is up in five months then after that you will be on your own. If that scares you then think about purchasing the extended warranty. If you really don't care and have no problems getting under the hood then don't waste your money.

BTW, if I paid good money for next day on site coverage, I would have no problems calling them for the slightest issue. :p

knicks
05-02-2007, 07:36 PM
thanks jlreich u really helped me. i think i will extend my warranty but an above basic but still decent priced not the if one key of your keyboard breaks call us one :p i dont think i can afford it. also yea it was weird recently i saw my pc was getting blue screens of death during startup and then all of a sudden i was on my desktop and running only basic necessities for windows to run and my right click menu took 2 whole min to appear and i have 2gb of ram and a core 2 duo processor! so i reboot and checkdisc automatically came up and it had all kinds of index errors and they were replaced and so forth so far all is well. i will keep u posted thanks so much again. i bet if this site had reputation for posters yours would be in the thousands

You have discovered one of the secrets to why OEM's can sell their machines so cheap. They have deals with these companies to put all this trialware crap on the machines they sell. People will often buy the full version because it is already there on the machine.

Keep an eye on the hard drive. If it is just a few file system errors that's fine. If it is some bad sectors on the drive it could be fine as well, but if it continues to get more and more bad sectors the drive needs to be replaced. Particularly if it is getting bad sectors at the front of the drive causing windows files to become corrupted and giving you the BSOD.

You will have to weigh the warranty option with how much it costs and how much you are willing to take on yourself. If your regular warranty is up in five months then after that you will be on your own. If that scares you then think about purchasing the extended warranty. If you really don't care and have no problems getting under the hood then don't waste your money.

BTW, if I paid good money for next day on site coverage, I would have no problems calling them for the slightest issue. :p

wwwking
05-03-2007, 09:04 PM
The best way is to call pc manufacture ,i think