PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Problems In vista?

BASPro
04-30-2007, 01:47 AM
Well,i know what yall are thinking,im just a glutten for punishment.Anyways,i am on my 3rd build,which i think will be my most challenging,and i have an abit aw9d-max mobo,2 wd 250 g hd's and windows vista.I installed earlier and partitioned the first 250 .20 for vista and 230 for something else.The other 250 was going to be for something else as well.Vista got done doin her thing when she came up i went to my computer and drive c is 19.5 with 7.7 free,and there is nothing else. :( .Drives D and E are my optical drives.In device manager they show up and are recognized in BIOS as well.This has already caused me more issues as my other 2 put together.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

classicsoftware
04-30-2007, 02:04 AM
Did you format the other partitions? I don't know vista well, but in XP, they would not show up until they were formatted.

Erik
04-30-2007, 06:09 AM
Did you format the other partitions? I don't know vista well, but in XP, they would not show up until they were formatted.

Worked the same in Vista for me when I was doing the Beta thing. You will need to go to Computer Management and format the drives in order to see them.

BASPro
05-02-2007, 07:52 PM
I am @ a loss.Maybe its because i havent built a pc in 2 years,maybe its because i havent worked with more than 1 drive or partitioned a drive,maybe its because of vista?Drives do not show up in disk management,only the 20gig of the first drive shows up @ all.I was going to just reinstall but when i run the vista disk from within vista,the 20 gig of first drive is all the shows up to use for the install.I set in bios for first boot device to be cd,and disabled the rest.When i restarted,said hit any key to boot from cd,hit several keys and it still booted to hd?Its like most of the first drive and all the second drive have disappeared.Wanted to repartition the hard drive to 40gig for windows and reinstall.I also wanted to make the rest of the first dick "D",second drive "E" optical 1 "F" 2nd optical "G".I think this is going to be more aggravating than i expected.Vista is a little different from the install of xp,so ur saying that if i can ever figure the hd missing thing ,that i am going to have to format a brand new drive.Also these drives are SATA.Step by Step would be nice if anyone has done this b4,cause i dont want to screw up again.Thanks.

Paul Komski
05-02-2007, 08:56 PM
DiskManagement in Vista is more elaborate than in earlier versions of Windows and you should be able to do all the disk management task such as resizing your system partition and formatting or creating a second partition in the remaining 200-odd gig of space. How does this space currently appear in Disk Management.

A link to help you get started (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial133.html).

If the second drive has not yet appeared then do check and see if you can find it in the BIOS setup where it should be configured as an IDE device unless you have somehow created an array using both drives they should both have the same settings.

BASPro
05-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Drives do not show up in disk management,they show in device manager and in bios(as the drives m#).They show nowhere else.

Paul Komski
05-03-2007, 01:53 AM
Is Disk Management showing a completely blank page or can you at least see the C: partition and/or the CDROM as D:?

From experience, it can be completely blank under WinXP for 30 seconds or more on occasions and also malfunction if you are simultaneously using any other utility (such as Partition Magic) that can also normally enumerate hard drives and their partitions.

The only other thought is that the second hard drive has some fault that is causing conflicts - so try removing it altogether for the time being to simplify things.

It is quite abnormal to see nothing displayed in Disk Management in earlier versions and its hard to see why this should be any different in the case of Vista, which is supposed to have upgraded the DM snap in.

One final afterthought is to try Disk Management from Safe Mode and to see if BiNG or GParted can see both hard drives without running Windows at all.