PDA

View Full Version : Question about Cisco training

goldensmog
06-26-2001, 07:20 AM
i have a question which I am sure many people will be able to answer/help. I am about to start my training to become a CCNA. Since I am a newbie to the IT world, I will be taking A+, MCSE, then CCNA. My question is how much is learned through hands on training/experience as opposed to reading manuals? Is this a big hands on course? Any idea what the salary range is in NJ? A realistic starting point and how difficult it is to find work once I become certified? I understand programmers have been hit hard by downsizing and am wondering if the same happens to system engineers. I know this is a lot to ask but I am sure there are a lot of people who can help me in my quest. Thanks in advance.

kenja
06-26-2001, 11:47 PM
I considered going for the CCNA after my MCSE, but decided databases held more intrinsic interest for me. Thought about buying Lammle's kit (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782127290/qid=993607876/sr=1-3/ref=sc_b_3/102-4734824-1746561) and paying the extra $130 for the full version of RouteSim.

For the MCSE, I don't think the A+ objectives will be sufficient background in networking. Although I haven't looked at the revised A+, knowing the Network+ objectives is pretty much a prerequisite for the MCSE. Is the Network+ exam worth what you pay for it? Eh...maybe.

"Is this a big hands on..." Well, many IT certifications can be obtained by rote memorization, but I guarantee you this: that method is drudgery, and the info probably won't stick with you.