PDA

View Full Version : Could The Book be wrong?

jpm
06-28-2001, 08:07 AM
I'm independently studying for the A+ going through eam questions etc when I came across 2 questions for the life me I don't understand or can find any knowledge on. I'm a bit worried that these questions could either be wrong or I"m not picking some thing up. So this topic is concerned with sample questions. Also could some explain what an angstrom has to do with a monitor and why after BIOS is loaded POST takes place? These questions are from A+ Practise test exam (M.Pasture).

mjc
06-28-2001, 11:25 AM
Electromagnetic radiation travels in waves. Scientists use the length of the wave (the distance between peaks) to define the energy of the radiation. Astronomers measure this length in "angstroms," a unit of measure equal to 1 hundred-millionth of a centimeter. It's a convenient shorthand to avoid writing lots of zeroes when talking about the wavelengths of light. In everyday terms, a sheet of paper is approximately 1,000,000 angstroms thick. Visible light covers the range from 4,000 to 8,000 angstroms

I imagine a the unit of measure for the various types of EM radiation in it...

Power On Self Test ... if there is no BIOS what is there to test?

------------------
mjc
Links list:Computer Links (http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/highrise/11/index.htm)

Celts are the men that heaven made mad, For all their battles are merry and their songs are all sad.

jpm
06-28-2001, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the reply mjc: speedy!

I'm aware that an Angstrom (A)(named after a Anders Angstrom [can't do the funny Swedish letters]) is a measure of distance as I work within X-ray crystallography which deals with v.small distances but fail to find any relevance with Angstoms and monitors. Perhaps the wavelength of radiation coming from a monitor but this not mentioned here (Pcguide) or defined in webopedia. I could have fallen over my own tail as if I hadn't known what an A was I would have dismissed it.
What I'm try to say is are the test books always correct? The question dealt with what is NOT associated with a monitor. One of the 4 answers was angstroms with the correct answer being a byte. Fine I can deal with a byte having no association with a monitor (leave it!) but as far as I can tell neither does an Angstom unless we are talking the atomic scale such as atomic distance or the wavelength of EM emitted which would be measured in metres (10e-14m). An option could be miles!
There appeared to be 2 incorrect answers!
As with the POST. I thought that the POST was the first thing followed by the BIOS loading. This I'm happy to put that down to being a bit htick (I thought it was POST then BIOS but I'll read it again).
The question was not asking about the definition of an Angstrom but are there faults in these books. For someone like me who shells out for them I'd like to know what people think of them: good, bad the wrong.
I don't know enough to dismiss typos in text but don't want to learn incorrectly.
And another thing (I'm on a roll) is the A+ national? ie USA, UK versions. There are a few questions dealing with US government agencies such as the FCC.

All help welcome...and needed....

[This message has been edited by jpm (edited 06-28-2001).]

skhips
06-28-2001, 04:29 PM
I have not purchased any of the books but am looking at the moment and on the amazon website when reading peoples reviews most of them refer to books having wrong info, but the amount does vary, give them a try, you may find a review on your book.

http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

kenja
06-28-2001, 06:08 PM
A real-world use of Angstrom units for a PC tech: Incorporate the term (and a bunch of other techno words) when explaining why it took you all day to find a loose connection at the monitor cable. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/wink.gif

About study guides: As I read the first edition of "A+ All-in-One Exam Guide" (McGraw-Hill), I kept thinking "Jeesh, I'm sure glad I know the subject matter, or else all these faulty details would really suck!"

kenja
06-28-2001, 07:21 PM
PS: Check a publisher's web site for an errata page (but most do a crummy job of it, if at all).

Paleo Pete
06-29-2001, 02:54 AM
n unny letters or haracters could possibly be used. ހƇ
Some might not show up right...it's up to you to figure out how, I won't give it to you on a silver platter just yet. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

POST is the process, BIOS is part of what it checks out during that process. The BIOS information is stored on a CMOS chip, (Complimentary Metal Oxide Semiconductor), and the second thing POST does is read the info on that chip. The first thing is grab the video BIOS info, stored on its own CMOS chip. Then after BIOS it checks memory and looks on the floppy and/or hard drive for command.com. BIOS tells the machine what hardware is there, settings it uses in some cases, what parts of video and system BIOS to shadow, boot sequence etc. Bios is loaded during POST, as a part of its routine.

That's a very basic description...but should give you the general idea of what goes on during POST, and how BIOS fits in. BIOS may also have a lot to do with telling POST what to test and when...I'd have to dig out stored books to get into more detail.

And another thing (I'm on a roll)

Pass the butter!! http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I don't know what Angstroms would be used for in monitors, but probably to measure wavelengths of some sort, or it's possible that a coating that thin is used in the manufacture of certain internal components. I think wavelenghts is a much more realistic guess..

------------------
So many idiots, and only six bullets...
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

[This message has been edited by Paleo Pete (edited 06-29-2001).]

jpm
06-29-2001, 09:23 AM
To summaries:

1) These books do have a few errors (as all books do) and you have to know the stuff well enough to spot them.

2) When a computer is turned on the BIOS comes up and starts the POST. Then the BIOS continues to load.

3) Knowlegde of unfamiliar words to non-technicians is an essential tool to blaggin your way through a career in IT.

So all I have to do now is correct all the computer books that I have, sit and pass the A+ exam knowing everything to start a career where the sheer mention of 'well if the cold boot was unable to verify the angstrom index then your going to have trouble with the primary POST' will get me complete respect from the MD who is having trouble accesssing his email due to the cleaner turning the monitor off the previous night. Sorted!