PDA

View Full Version : Job future

doug3153
08-20-2001, 12:57 AM
I will soon complete a 30hr. computer support technology certificate program at one of the local 2-year colleges here in KC, MO. I've already completed the computer related courses and just have a business course to complete this fall. I've been looking at the job market trying to find an entry level-help desk job. But everything I see really is for people who have a degree, even if it's just a 2-year degree, but most want you to have a 4-year degree. They don't really seem like entry-level jobs. They want you to know everything from a couple of programming languages to being
well versed in network administration type problems. I plan on getting more education, at least an associate degree, but where do I look for work experience? Is the IT field so bad now that entry-level applicants aren't needed. I wanted to work and study for the A+ certification but really haven't seen any jobs for a beginner. I need to have an income to continue my studies. Any advice?

Revjapaca
08-20-2001, 10:06 AM
Hello there, I was in a similar situation. Most of the help desk jobs will give you an over the phone pre-interview to find out how much you know. With any job you will need further training. In the IT field unlike most other fields a degree is not AS important. As long as you have training and show that you inteend to continue your education companies will view that as a positive. I served in the Navy for 7 yrs and earned an AAS in Computer information systems with no prior knowledge of pcs. This was enough to land me a job as PC repair tech and the company provides training. See, the degree just show that you are able to learn. The company almost always has its own way of doing things anyway. I suggest posting your resume and listing your ongoing education. A great job search site for all types of jobs that you can search by job type, zip code ect is www.ajb.dni.us (http://www.ajb.dni.us)
Good luck