PDA

View Full Version : loss of memory

jbibey
09-04-2000, 03:01 PM
i really hope someone can help. I cleaned out all my hard drive and cache using a program called cyberscub. now i seem to have lost two thirds of my 128MB memory. I thought i might be able to sort it out in BIOS, but i don't know where to start. Any ideas would be appreciated.

dale
09-04-2000, 03:26 PM
There is not enough information in your post to help out. When you say you have lost 2/3 of your 128 MB RAM memory, how do you know that? When your computer boots, does it show the BIOS checking your memory and does it show it stopping at 85 MB of memory? Or do you see something else that makes you think this to be the case?

regards,
dale

jbibey
09-04-2000, 03:51 PM
dale, the first screen on starting up, before the 'american megatrends' screen, only goes up to 32MB when it used to go up to 128MB. When i'm actually in windows, properties states that i have 128MB. All my programs are working fine and up to speed, except MSPAINT, which is painfully slow, and diagnostic test shows that there is no available memory when the program is running, whereas before i run the program there is the full compliment.....

any ideas?

dale
09-04-2000, 11:55 PM
That's odd for sure. If your bios only shows it going up to 32 MB, then that has nothing to do with Windows. Try shutting down the system, reseating the memory chips and then when you boot the next time, go into BIOS setup and check some of the memory settings, maybe even choose the "Restore Defaults" options.

dale

jbibey
09-05-2000, 07:17 AM
dale............how do i reset the memory chips.........and i thought about resetting all the settings, but i can't see a restore setting in my BIOS........

i really appreciate your help..

dale
09-05-2000, 06:52 PM
Hi jbibey,

Reseating the chips is not hard, but if you are uncomfortable playing with hardware, you might ask a knowledgable fried to do it for you. You pop the cover off the system and look for some rectangular looking chips plugged in vertically into the motherboard. You probably have 4 of these chips if you had 128 MB and have dropped to 32 MB. You usually just pull back the two clips on each side of the chip and push the chip back and pull up. Then do reverse to plug back in.

I would be surprised that 3 of your chips are loose. I would suspect something in the BIOS memory settings somewhere.

dale

Charles Kozierok
09-05-2000, 07:15 PM
Have you by any chance recently upgraded or changed your memory?
What you are describing sounds like a hardware issue, I agree that it should have nothing to do with Windows.

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok ( ixlubb@PCGuide.com )
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...