PDA

View Full Version : MCSE

dmc
10-11-2001, 03:42 PM
I realize that most of the posts here are about
A+,so maybe this is the wrong place to discuss this,
but I noticed today Microsoft has decided not to
retire the MCSE-NT certification and go with, NT
and MCSE-2K cert.Will this de-value the MCSE-2K??
I'm starting to think the phrase "one of the most
sought after certifications" is a tricky little phrase
the schools use that really refers to the people trying
to pass the tests and not employers looking for MCSE-2K's
Is there really a market for MCSE's or just alot of
schools making alot of money?? With 3 tests down and 4 to
go I'm not about to turn around and go back, but is this
like the gold rush and all the real gold has already
been mined?

geebee76
10-13-2001, 08:30 AM
Hi DMC,

I'm not sure why Microsoft has made this decision but I've got a funny feeling that this has something to do with $$$$'s. I also don't think that Win 2000 has established itself quite as quickly as Microsoft anticipated. Perhaps the whole issue of Microsoft prematurely retiring MCSE's is just another case of Microsoft attempting to force market changes and in this case one they've had to rethink. I'm not fully up to date with all the available certificates but perhaps Microsoft are feeling threatened by other available and emerging certificates.

I wouldn't think that the Win 2000 MCSE would be de-valued though, more a case of the NT MCSE holding on to the credit it deserves.

As for "one of the most sought after certifications", I wouldn't be surprised if that one was coined by Microsoft and then adopted by the training providers to get you to part with your cash. I think when you deal with any training provider they would have you believe that by getting any certificate through their training, that opportunities will abound. Hmmm! I think we are back to talking about $$$$'s again.

Having said that, I have looked at the various MCSE's and would not like to detract from the effort and knowledge needed to gain these certificates. Definitely not for the faint hearted.

Maybe some of the certified folks on the Forum could offer their opinions on the value of these certificates and any alternatives. It would be interesting to know what the industry really wants.

------------------
You are making progress if each mistake is a new one!

Sig from Here (http://www.oneliners-and-proverbs.com/)

geebee76@hotmail.com

kenja
10-16-2001, 01:22 AM
I've been trying to come up with a reply that isn't overly negative. If you read my two MCSE topics on page two of this forum, you'll note some cynicism. Now that I possess an "Early Achiever Win2k MCSE" card, I'm even more cynical. The "Design" exams are reading comprehension tests more than anything.

"Will this de-value the MCSE-2K??" No, I don't think the MCSE could be any further devalued; if anything, the existence of the MCSA will enhance the MCSE. An MCSE can get you an interview for a help desk or tape machine job, and hopefully will give you a couple of points over a MCSA person.

Yeah, the gold rush is over. What the MCSE does do, in my opinion, is give you a decent overall introduction to the operating system.

kenja
10-17-2001, 04:34 AM
Oh, I re-read your post, dmc; the question is, will the preservation of MCSE certificates obtained via the (retired) NT exams devalue the Win2k MCSE? No, I agree with geebee76; there is a huge installed base of NT4 in the world.

Here (http://www.microsoft.com/trainingandservices/default.asp?PageID=mcp&PageCall=mcsa&SubSite=cert/mcsa&AnnMenu=mcsa) is the info about the MCSA (Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator). Kind of nice that CompTIA's Network+ or Server+ can be used as an elective.