PDA

View Full Version : CD and HDD on the same cable?

rocket1963
01-29-2001, 12:19 PM
I would like to put another HD into my computer on the same cable as the CD. Can I do this? Do I make the CD master or slave?

Thank you!!

BigBlue66
01-29-2001, 01:47 PM
Hey Rocket,

Yes, you can certainly do what you are suggesting. The only problem with having a CD-ROM on the same cable (interface) as a HDD, is that the CD-ROM will usually slow down an otherwise fast HDD.

The most common way to connect the HDD and CD-ROM is to set the HDD as master and the CD.. as slave. I assume you know how to set these configurations using the jumpers on the back of the individual units. Additionally, the master unit is usually connected to the end connector on the cable and the slave is connnected to the middle connector.

Cheers,

Big Blue 66

WarHog
01-29-2001, 01:48 PM
Yes you can do this. Take the IDE cable that comes from the mother board and plug it first to your HDD (this will be your Primary Master) and then continue on with the cable and plug it to the CD (this will be your Primary Slave) Make sure you set your jumpers correctly. You may also need to go into CMOS and make sure they are enabled....sometimes setting them to Auto is the easiest.

rocket1963
01-29-2001, 01:49 PM
Thanks much!!