PDA

View Full Version : PC freezes within 30sec. of successful POST

MANU
09-07-2000, 12:02 AM
There was a bad mains power supply connection and the PC switched ON and OFF alternately a few times before I could switch off the mains. Now my PC goes through with the POST succesfully ( single beep only ) and then within a few seconds it freezes,i.e., the monitor goes blank, CPU fan and Power supply fan keep running. I changed the ATX power supply and now it takes slightly more time to freeze.

One more observations is that if I boot the PC after a long time, it stays ON for a longer time.

my Bios Id is 02/06/1999-i440zx-W977TF-2A69KPNIC-00, bios version is biz1a v1.1

I suspect one or more of the following:

1. Flash Bios (Winbond 29C020-120ns) may have gone corrupt.
2. Some component on the motherboard is probably getting heated and causes a short circuit/reset/something.

Any other possibilities ... I am waiting here

DANQU
09-07-2000, 07:53 AM
If you can get to the CMOS settings try changing to the default settings.

Resetting cables might help

Smell and check for burnt components on the motherboard

Hope this helps
Dan

Charles Kozierok
09-07-2000, 08:32 PM
I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but it does sound to me like "something got fried". The question is, how to determine what. I agree with doing a visual inspection for starters. Any ideas on your own what might be blown, if anything?

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok ( ixlubb@PCGuide.com )
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...

dale
09-08-2000, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by MANU:
One more observations is that if I boot the PC after a long time, it stays ON for a longer time.

If I read this correctly, you are saying that the computer actually runs o.k. for a bit (running Windows) before it freezes? If so, then its not a BIOS problem and points to a heating problem. You said the CPU fan is working so that's not the problem. You changed the power supply, so I assume its power supply fan is working. So something else must be heating up or causing a heating problem. If what you meant is that Windows never starts, it just takes longer to appear to freeze, then I agree, maybe your BIOS got scrambled a little somehow.

dale