PDA

View Full Version : What is a Command Interpreter

Dukuesa
09-02-2000, 07:33 PM
When I boot up my computer, it goes through the BIOS information, then says 'Starting Windows98' then gives me the following:
Type the name of the Command Interpreter (e.g., C:\Windows (Command.com) and gives me an A> prompt.

My floppy drive light stays on constantly, and doesn't seem to read the disk when I put in the System Boot Disk that came with Windows98.

The Floppy Drive is good - it's not malfunctioning.

The CD ROM light blinks when you turn the computer on, but the Windows disk doesn't automatically start when you put it in.

Can anyone help me? I'm trying to put a computer together for my son.

Thanks.

willygog
09-02-2000, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Dukuesa:
When I boot up my computer, it goes through the BIOS information, then says 'Starting Windows98' then gives me the following:
Type the name of the Command Interpreter (e.g., C:\Windows (Command.com) and gives me an A> prompt.

My floppy drive light stays on constantly, and doesn't seem to read the disk when I put in the System Boot Disk that came with Windows98.

The Floppy Drive is good - it's not malfunctioning.

The CD ROM light blinks when you turn the computer on, but the Windows disk doesn't automatically start when you put it in.

Can anyone help me? I'm trying to put a computer together for my son.

Thanks.

Hi Check the ribbon on the floppy drive both ends..light should only be on when it is in use or reading..I dont know at what stage your at but the computer is looking for a set of commands to boot from.. did you ever have this working or did someone sell it to you.. have you used the setup disc that was supplied with the system.. Need more information to really help out..

Dukuesa
09-02-2000, 10:56 PM
It was working, and I was going to try and add a second hard drive (it's a 486 with a 2 gig Hard Drive, and I was going to try and add a second one with 1.4 gig.)

Let me know what other things you need to know to help - I would like to have this thing up and running by Monday.

Thanks - If you can, feel free to contact me at my e-mail address - Dukuesa@mail.com.

Charles Kozierok
09-03-2000, 10:59 AM
I concur with willygog; floppy light on all the time and drive not working means a backwards or loose cable. Check that first.

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok ( ixlubb@PCGuide.com )
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...

Paleo Pete
09-11-2000, 11:46 AM
Check the floppy cable, it's upside down...but you read that already in at least 142 posts right?

The command interpreter is command.com, which is the application that deciphers the commands you type in and translates them into binary format (1's and 0's) so the computer can understand them, since it understands only those two digits. Without command.com showing up somewhere during the boot process you're computer can't function.

It's usually found in the root directory of C drive, and in C:\Windows

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)