PDA

View Full Version : Boot won't even start

Robert
09-10-2000, 10:09 PM
I added a hard drivre to a PC that apparently was running fine before. System is an Intel P200mmx with amibios BT31783 - Hard drives are fujitsu 3gb & 2gb. User leaves computer on at all times and has power mamgement settings enabled in BOIS. After install of 2nd hard drive, it took increasingly long for PC to come out of standby mode, untill after about 1 week, the PC would no longer respond at all from standby mode. At one point user got message saying that the system could not be put in standby mode. Upon hard boot, the keyboard lights flash, both hard drives clatter momentarily in sequence, and the CD drive light lights up. And that's it - no beep codes, nothing displayed on screen, system sits idle with power supply fan running. Floppy is not detected (probably set that way in BIOS), and therefore cannot boot from floppy.
Things attempted: swap video card - no change: Disconnect disk 2 - no change: disconnect disk 1 and 2 and install another hard drive - no change: disconnect floppy & CD Drive - no change: boot from CD - did not work: reseat chips & verify all physical connections - no change: removed CMOS battery to try to get BIOS to factory defaults - no change.

I'm beginning to suspect corrupt BIOS chip or weak power supply. No virus protection installed on PC.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Robert

dale
09-10-2000, 10:58 PM
It seems like a bad BIOS chip since you see nothing on the screen and you've already replaced the video card, but the fact that it slowly died seems to indicate something else. Maybe try moving the RAM chips around or replacing them.

dale

Paleo Pete
09-11-2000, 11:05 AM
I can't think of anything that dale didn't cover except maybe try another power supply. Might also be a bad motherboard. If you can get into the BIOS also try disabling all power management, if it's not already disabled. It's usually best to disable BIOS power management and let Windows handle it. Also while you're in BIOS set the boot sequence to boot from the floppy drive first, (A;C) and enable floppy seek at boot. Normally floppy seek isn't really needed, since the boot process tries to find it again, but for troubleshooting purposes it's nice to have it there, so it tries to find the floppy and gives you an error message if the drive has a problem.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

Robert
09-11-2000, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Paleo Pete:
I can't think of anything that dale didn't cover except maybe try another power supply. Might also be a bad motherboard. If you can get into the BIOS also try disabling all power management, if it's not already disabled. It's usually best to disable BIOS power management and let Windows handle it. Also while you're in BIOS set the boot sequence to boot from the floppy drive first, (A;C) and enable floppy seek at boot. Normally floppy seek isn't really needed, since the boot process tries to find it again, but for troubleshooting purposes it's nice to have it there, so it tries to find the floppy and gives you an error message if the drive has a problem.

Thanks Pete. That's good advice, but unfortunately I can't even get into the BIOS setup. I removed the CMOS battery in hope that the BIOS would reset to factory settings (I can't find a reset switch or jumper for the BIOS yet)and disable power mgmt features - but to no avail.
Thanks again Pete!

Robert

Paleo Pete
09-11-2000, 11:16 PM
Sounds like either power supply or motherboard. Try another power supply, set it up on a table with no case, and plug in only motherboard, CPU, memory and video card. This might also rule out a short somewhere...If a known good power supply doesn't do the trick, I'd say try another CPU, then motherboard.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)