PDA

View Full Version : troubleshooting

mootaz
09-14-2000, 01:33 PM
I had to quickrestore my hard drive to original factory settings...someone know how can the RAM change from 64 MB to 60 after this procedure

ReddDogg
09-14-2000, 07:12 PM
What brand of computer is it? I know I have a hewlett packard at home, my first ever computer, and though it has 64 megs of ram installed, it only shows 60 megs in the system properties. The reason for this is on board video that shares the ram. Where did it tell you that you have 60 megs of ram? In the boot up screen, or in the system properties? Do you remember seeign in the system that it had 64 megs of ram, or did you just know it came that way when you bought it.

------------------
Joe Redd
MCP

Charles Kozierok
09-14-2000, 08:35 PM
Was gonna say the same as Joe, the video memory is probably it, but that should have been happening all along...

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

mootaz
09-15-2000, 12:56 PM
it showed 60 MB in the system properties under "my computer"..but when i ran the system diagnostics it showed a total memmory of 64 MB...so do you think the remaining 4 MB are for the video?..and how can you know the amount of memmory reserved for video purposes.

dale
09-15-2000, 02:45 PM
Definitely sounds like you might have an integrated video chip that's using up 4 MB. If you have a PCI video card (one that plugs into the motherboard), then you should disable the integrated video chip through the bios to free up that 4 MB.

dale