PDA

View Full Version : Viewing bios on pentium 4

gameguy32
04-06-2001, 04:59 AM
I have an HP9880 pentium 4 1.5 with 256ram. When I first got it I was able to flash download a newer set of bios. I have not been able to access the bios however at startup. I have tried a number of combinations but nothing works. My processor is underclocked and with a small V adjustment I can bring it up to speed. Does anyone know the right combination to get into the bios. Thanks I have had trouble getting any help anywhere.

Paleo Pete
04-06-2001, 06:17 AM
I'm not sure if HP uses a logo screen, (I hate those) if so, [Esc] should clear the logo so you can see the screen behind it. [Pause] quickly will freeze that screen so you can see if it has a text message somewhere, like "Press [F1] to enter setup." My machines mostly use [Delete].

Others:
[F1]
[F10] Compaq while blinking cursor is at top right.
[Esc] Toshiba
[F2] NEC
[Insert] IBM PS/2
[Tab] Emachine
reset button twice- some Dells
[Ctrl] [Alt] misc
[Ctrl] [Alt] [?] Some PS/2's
[Ctrl] [Alt] [Enter] Dell
[Ctrl] [Alt] [Esc] AST
[Ctrl] [Alt][Insert] Zenith, Phoenix
[Ctrl] [Alt] [S] Phoenix
[Ctrl] [Esc] Misc computers
[Ctrl] [S] Phoenix

Nothing in my list for HP, but maybe those will give you some you haven't tried, and possibly the [Esc] key will let you see the onscreen prompt...Have you checked the HP website and the manual?

------------------
So many idiots, and only six bullets...
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

buck52
04-06-2001, 07:22 AM
I have an HP 6535 Phoenix Bios. Tapping ( Esc ) at boot up before any splash screens gets me into the boot menu and bios

buck

------------------
just hav'n fun

gameguy32
04-06-2001, 09:49 AM
Thanks guys very much you were a big help. I was finally able to get in. The answer for anyone who needs to know is F1. They are a Phenix setup utility. If anyone needs help with video cards and drivers that is an area where I do know something. Thanks a lot.