PDA

View Full Version : Advantage of multiple partition?

andreadebiase
05-04-2001, 06:25 PM
Can someone briefly explain me where is the advantage on having a hard drive divided in two (or more) parts?
I was told that many assemblers like to install in the small partition the system files (i guess they mean the OS?) and all the other programs on the other partition............ and again my question is: where is the advantage on doing such a thing? is this somehow related to the fact that in some PCs is never necessary to use the OS cd-rom disk because everything is copied on (one partition of?) the hard drive?

thank you

------------------
#!@$*%.....just format the damn C:

Randy_tx
05-04-2001, 07:05 PM
When PC's had MUCH slower cpu's, RAM, Motherboards and Hard Drives I guess it made sense to put the Windows "swap" file on it's own partition. I for one, believe it's best to have EVERYthing on a single partition with the speeds we have today. Less chance for problems later on (as a result of miscalculation of how big the partition should be-yes I know we have Partition Magic, but not everyone wants to buy it). Everyone has a different opinion about it......so hang on for all to weigh in here about it http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Will XP save Me ?

bassman
05-04-2001, 07:47 PM
please correct me if I am wrong. If you had, say, your download file in one partition and OS on another and doc folders on another and you downloaded a virus, would it not affect your other partitions?

I know for the advantage of working in multipul OS's (studying for an exam) that multipul partitions are very handy.
Also in networking, partitions are nice for the ability of managing security.

More to come I'm sure......GH??

------------------
They say to eat before you go to the grocery store so you don't buy so much. That doesn't work at the liquor store does it!

Ghost_Hacker
05-04-2001, 07:48 PM
In NT having the swap file on it's own partition keeps it from fragmenting (if the min/max values are setup to use the whole partition). This can speed up NT somewhat.

Some like to have the system files on their own partition and the datafiles on another because it makes it somewhat easier to recovery from a "crashed" system. ( Also the partition with the system files on it has reduce disk management options in NT's Disk Administrator)

I like to have a big "system" partition only because a lot of the programs I install will dump DLLs there. Like Randy says everyone has their own preferences.

Hope this help http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

bassman Talk about timing http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Yes your right if the partitions are "viewable" from that OS then the virus/worm would damage all the files it was designed to. For networking having the data directories on a different partition is good for security. On a web server it's a must.
------------------
Comment heard from a Klingon programmer.

"Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters'. They have 'arguments'....and they ALWAYS WIN THEM!"

[This message has been edited by Ghost_Hacker (edited 05-04-2001).]

Reid
05-04-2001, 08:44 PM
A boot partition backup image can be stored in a separate partition, by using a program such as Norton Ghost. It would not protect against a catastrophic hard drive failure, but does offer a convenient backup and quick recovery method when Windows gets corrupted. I save my backups on a removeable secondary hard drive, but using multiple partitions is an alternative when a second drive is not affordable or practical.
See Using Norton Ghost (http://wufs.wustl.edu/computers/using_norton_ghost.htm).

------------------
reido@my-deja.com

Friends don't let friends install Windows ME

[This message has been edited by Reid (edited 05-04-2001).]

Rick
05-04-2001, 09:57 PM
Using Multiple partitions makes backups of data easier.
Just backup the complete data Partition
Your data files don't get fragmented. ( I use very Large files)

It also will reduce the need to run Defrag.

By putting all the temp files ( Cache, tmp temp Virtual memory ) in a partition .
You can also clean all of them off the drive all at once.

If Windows Virtual memory swap file isn't fragmenting you O/S partition your system won't slow down as often or require as much maintenance .

Maybe it's an old habit But I still set up 3 partitions. ( O/S+Programs, Data, and Temp)
A few years ago you couldn't have a partition larger that 2.? Gig. ( In the days of DOCS)
File 32 changed that.

bunk
05-05-2001, 07:08 AM
I partition mine hard drive for a couple reasons.

Originally partioning was done to reduce cluster size. On Fat16 a 512MB - 1023MB partition was 16KB clusters and a 1024MB - 2GB partion had 32KB clusters.

A cluster is the smallest space that Windows will track when storing a file. A 1KB file would be written to a cluster and 31KB was wasted since only one file is allowed per cluster (2 files in the same cluster is a Cross-link file error). When hard drives used to cost a fair amount for a 2GB hard drive and you have 1000 files in the 1-6KB size you can see how this ate up hard drive space on a 2GB drive.

Fat32 solved this problem for a while and with hard drives being a fairly cheap for large sizes it is much less of a problem. Fat32 uses only 4KB per cluster and this really cut down on the wasted space problem until this generation of harddrives hit the market. Fat32 uses 4KB clusters for partions upto 8GB, 8GB-16GB partitions use 8KB clusters, 16GB -32GB partions use 16KB clusters and 32GB and larger partions are back to using 32KB clusters. This problem is offset for the most part by the fact that 32GB is so damn much you dont notice all the waste like you would on a 2GB drive, but it can be a problem for those with large amounts of data.

I still partition drives, but for another reason now. I found life to be much simpler when I have a 4GB C: to hold Windows and my utilities such as anti-virus, nortons utilities etc. Games are on another partions and a 3rd partion is used for WordPerfect, Visual C++ program etc. There are several benefits to this. I dont change the C: much so I have much less chance of screwing things up with a bad install or accidental delete or any of the other dumb moves I have done. I have an exact image of my c: in optimal form copied on a CD so if I do screw something up it is a fast reimaging since only windows and utilities were lost. This also cuts down on fragmentation. A good defrag program will allow you to decide where to put certain folders. Set the swap file to have the same min and max size, then make it the first file on the drive. This locks your swapfile to an exact size, puts it on the outer edge of the harddrive which is the fastest access and reading, and since it is locked in size it cant ever fragment. Then I put the win\temp, tempory internet, etc folders at the end of the partion, since these file shrink and grow all the time. By doing this it prevents fragmentation on area of the disk where windows and the utilities are stored. My C: hasnt been defraged since January and it is 97% unfragmented, and the fragmentation is in the temp internet folder http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

The other partions for games and programs get changed fairly often and have bad installs, but this doesnt affect my most important stuff.. the OS and the utilities. When I do goto to defrag these drives it is nice to only defrag a 15 GB partion vs waiting for an unpartioned 40GB drive to defrag. Saves time with scan disk also.

The last thing I do is leave a small partion on the very back of the drive for storing stuff i just know i am going to need again next year or so. Out of sight out of mind and out of harms way.

The part about not having to use the OS disk to reinstall is done by copying the cd to your hard drive. Alot of people will fdisk and format the harddrive, insert a dos boot floppy and copy the Windows cd to a directory. When you run setup it will read the files on the hard drive and not need to access the cdrom and it is much faster to install this way since the setup program doesnt have to constantly access the slow cdrom drive. I personally prefer this and on my little OutofSight partion have the Windows cd stored in a folder. This is really handy if you need to install some funky item you didnt install originally with Windows such as Virtual Private Networking or Netmeeting.

Paleo Pete
05-05-2001, 10:03 AM
Bunk hit the head on the nail.

Fat32 for smaller cluster size=less wasted space, manageability, and try waiting for defrag to finish with a 30GB partition...

------------------
So many idiots, and only six bullets...
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

sea69
05-05-2001, 11:48 AM
nice one Bunk....... another 'slam dunk for Bunk'.......lol

http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
sea1_69@hotmail.com

homepage (http://www.seanweb1.homestead.com/3.html)

mjc
05-05-2001, 12:07 PM
Hey Bunk, are you a writer for computer books? You should be....

------------------
mjc
Links list:Computer Links (http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/highrise/11/index.htm)

All Control Agents must memorize Rule 5 before proceding to Rule 6

setoguro
05-09-2001, 12:07 AM
So what are you all using to partition your hard drives?

Rick
05-09-2001, 12:31 AM
With a little advance planning FDISK does the job perfectly.

andreadebiase
05-09-2001, 10:15 AM
hi,
If I partition my 30G hard drive in two parts (3g+27g) and install Win98SE on the 3G and all other applications on the 27G do you think this will be somehow advantageous?

------------------
#!@$*%.....just format the damn C:

Ghost_Hacker
05-09-2001, 05:22 PM
Setoguro I use Fdisk and Partition Magic.

Andreadebiase I think only you can answer that question. IMHO It really depends on the type of programs you install and where you want them, how important it is that maintance programs finish fast and how quick you see yourself using up the partition's avilable space.

Hope this helps http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Comment heard from a Klingon programmer.

"Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters'. They have 'arguments'....and they ALWAYS WIN THEM!"