PDA

View Full Version : New at this

Nutchaya
12-22-2007, 04:43 AM
I'm quite new at everything about computers, be it software or hardware. Could someone please explain overclocking with some details, but without using words that a beginner won't know? Also, how do we overclock our hardware?
Any explanations would be greatly appreciated, no matter how short (or long, I like to read).
By the way, in case you're wondering, no, I am not trying to run Crysis on an old laptop. It's just that computer engineering is one of the fields of interest I have, and may be my career in the future.

yawningdog
12-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Processor chips (and most other chips) are burned in batches of about 100-200 on a single silicon wafer and at about 30-40 wafers at a time. They then install the chip on the package (PGA is the current favorite) and test it. They start with a low clock speed and build up. As soon as they reach the clock speed at which a threshold temperature is maintained, they configure the chip for that speed (and generally all the chips in that batch) and ship it. Then they tweak the manufacturing process to try and make the next batch of chips faster and cooler and repeat the process.

Generally chips can run at a higher speed than the factory threshold, and this is the premise of over clocking. The theory is that you can add speed and heat to a chip without any real danger to the chip except to void the warranty. And if you build a more elaborate cooling system, you can over clock even more.

I over clocked an AMD Duron several years ago and had less-than-earth-shattering results. I'm sure there are different methods for over clocking each different chip, and there are sure to be many "experts" here that will be happy to talk about it until you stuff a sock in their mouth, but I personally don't recommend it except to say that you've done it and move on.

SufferWell1396
12-22-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm with yawningdog.
I've tried overclocking before and I noticed no real difference.
But one thing you do get out of overclocking is bragging rights, which is why some people do it.
Generally, however I also would sway you against it, it could just damage your hardware for a difference youd never notice.

George Hallam
12-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Ok on the forum we dont recomend OC'ing.....

But http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/images/smilies/tongue.gif in my opinion it makes a massive difference in gaming and can save you some $$$$$...

I have recently OC'ed my E6400 even more to keep up with the latest games like when i was playing gears of war my CPU was at 100% at 35fps so i OC'ed just that bit more from 2.6Ghz to 2.8Ghz and it put me up to 45fps http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/images/smilies/eek.gif

Also on the money side you can buy a Q6600 at 2.4Ghz for $279.99 and then the QX6700 at 2.66Ghz $949.99.... so OC the Q6600 to 2.66Ghz and you have saved yourself $670 http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/images/smilies/eek.gif

OC'ing itself is really quite simple, you can either use MOBO software (like Mguru that i have) or use the BIOS, adjust the multiplier and/or the FSB then the voltage by a small amount and wallah.. so long as you do it slowly and don't push it to far you will be fine.. Also new Intel CPU's shut down when they overheat to stop damage.

When OC'ing you have to keep in mind that the more you OC you more heat you make so a good cooling is a must. After each time you OC (20-50Mhz at a time) run a program that uses 100% of that piece of hardware and keep your eyes on the temps. When OC'ing your CPU your RAM also OC's aswell so make sure you RAM is ok if you don't want to OC your RAM to much change the SPD (FSB : RAM ratio) to 1:1 (no less or you loose performance).

OC'ing your graphics card is a bit "iffy" due to
-the maker usally factory OC's it themselves
-they dont have great stock cooling
-can become unstable and burn
-only OC 4-6% and performance increase is small

Nutchaya
12-22-2007, 10:24 PM
So basically as long as I install a decent cooling system or turn on the air conditioner I can OC the chips without too many problems? This kinda reminds me of a mobile missile guidance radar in one of Dale Brown's books, where the radar operators were freezing because the air con was turned on max for the computers to do their work.

What is FSB? (I'm REALLY new at this)

I never really messed with the BIOS, except for placing a password and changing the boot order when I want to test a live CD.

Since I don't have a working desktop, would it be possible to OC an old laptop that no one uses? I can set it right on top of the air conditioner.

By the way, I'm about to go on vacation for a few days, not sure if they have wireless at the hotel or not. If they don't, I probably wouldn't be able to come to this forum for a while. Merry Christmas in advance!

Budfred
12-23-2007, 02:55 AM
No... It is not as simple as that... You can burn up your system quite well even if it isn't just a matter of overheating... There are entire forums devoted to the topic... If you are going to risk your system by overclocking, I suggest you visit those forums and study the issue before you do anything...

George Hallam
12-23-2007, 09:28 AM
If you are going to risk your system by overclocking, I suggest you visit those forums and study the issue before you do anything...

good call budfred but we still can help aswell.......

What is FSB?

here you go have read of this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_side_bus

About OC'ing the laptop... not all laptops OC due to the primitive BIOS but if its old and no-one uses it use it as a test PC..

So long as you take things slowly and read up on the subject you should be ok have a look at this link
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/newbie-oc-guide.html

yawningdog
12-23-2007, 11:50 AM
If you are going to risk your system by overclocking, I suggest you visit those forums and study the issue before you do anything...
I agree with the advice, but I disagree with the philosophy. If you don't stick your neck out and cook a few chips, you'll never learn anything.
"Experience is the thing you get just after you really need it."
-Calvin and Hobbes

Paul Komski
12-25-2007, 04:36 AM
Nor must we be dinosaurs in our approach. OC-ing once had a vogue to try to improve the overall performance of very old long-gone legacy machines. With modern hardware this is of little relevance except to gamers and others who want to squeeze every last iota of performance out of a system - regardless of any associated risks. The rewards for any risk will always depend on the risk and the risk-taker - in all walks of life. Some risks are probably well worth it - others definitely not so for the vast majority.

Nutchaya
12-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I'll try to read that x-bit article, then see what I can do.