PDA

View Full Version : Paleo Pete or anyone, please help (ATX power supply)

azonicbruce
10-01-2000, 02:22 AM
Hey there Pete. This is azonicbruce, who Posted the "Intel vs. AMD" topic under upgrading. Well, I installed the motherboard and CPU. NO problems. THen followed your directions for the reformat. NO problems. Install Windows. NO problem. Bios, NO problem. Everything is running fine EXCEPT ONE THING! THE ATX power supply isn't working correctly. The problem: with my OLD setup, when I clicked "Shutdown" on windows, the thing would shut down and the POWER would AUTOMATICALLY shut off. I wouldn't even see the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" screen.

HOWEVER, it won't do it anymore!! http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/frown.gif http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/eek.gif It shuts down correctly and goes to the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" screen and I have to manually hit the power button (on front) to turn it off. Any clues whatsoever? I know this is a trivial/ small question, but I REALLY like how the power shuts off automatically.

------------------
You catch more flies with honey, than with a rifle!

Paleo Pete
10-01-2000, 12:40 PM
I don't have a clue, I much prefer being able to use the power switch myself.

And please don't specify my name when you post a message, someone else who has the answer might pass up the thread.

I greatly appreciate your confidence in my abilities, but in many cases others have better info concerning a specific and especially obscure problem, or can view it from a different angle.

Wish I could help, but I really don't know where the setting for this might be...

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

tallyman
10-01-2000, 01:01 PM
Slightly confused with your problem. ATX power on-off buttons are non-latching - you press them, they operate a relay and return immediately to their 'unconnected' state ready for the next time you want to boot up your system. You should not be able to use them to turn off the PC. I don't know the previous history of your upgrade, but if you have installed your ATX motherboard into an AT case then the power switch will be the wrong type to let the system power down itself. AT systems rely on the power switch being permanently on during operation and then physically turned off after the power down. You mention that your previous system powered down in the normal ATX manner which is the confusing bit as there should be no difference. If, however, you are using an AT power switch, then your problem will be solved by replacing it with an ATX switch. However if you are definitely using an ATX case/switch, then let us know and I'll put more thought into it.

Regards

John R.

azonicbruce
10-01-2000, 03:07 PM
[B]I FIXED IT!!!! [/B}Sorry Pete for posting your name, I'll learn my lesson and won't do it next time.
Anyway, about my triumph. My friend who had assisted me w/ the format n' stuff, when the problem arised, said " Nah, it can't be that." when I asked "Do you think it would have something to do w/ the Bios settings?" Even though he said no way I still had a gut feeling it did. Well, I went through Bios and everything seemed fine. So I started to believe him. But I noticed that not ALL the settings were set at the defaults. So, I finally (just 5 min. ago) went into Bios and Loaded the Defaults for everything. Powered up again, and BAM! Fixed. I also noticed that BEFORE (when it wasn't working) the Windows Shutdown screen DIDN'T have the option of "Stanby" . Well after setting the defaults back it DID, and when I hit shutdown this time it powered off automatically.
So, I figure it had something to do with the Power Management settings; something that wasn't set at the default. I'll have to go back through and see which ones changed.

------------------
You catch more flies with honey, than with a rifle!