PDA

View Full Version : Question with Vista on a Dell PC.

Yoshi Fan
08-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Hi,

I got a Dell PC for Christmas (inspirion 531), and it came with Vista pre-installed. Now I know that some people have a problem where it's SUPER slow. Ever since I started up the computer (even for the first time) Vista has loaded ever so slow. The PCs at Best-Buy (even the laptops) run vista 10x faster than my PC. I was thinking about re-installing Vista, but all I have is the re-installation disc that came with my PC, and I believe it has all the dell mumbo jumbo (Dell support center, Norton trial, etc). I was wondering if there's a way I could re-install windows without all the Dell bull that they give you.

awaj
08-23-2008, 06:05 PM
You can buy a brand new CD... There are ilegal ways to re-install Vista from a blank CD which may be easily found via google, but the sites that come up will probably have viruses attached so be careful about that.
you may want to start by un-installing the stuff you don't want. If that doesn't work, start looking for a new Vista install disk. How much ram do you have though?

jlreich
08-23-2008, 06:27 PM
If it is a vista disk it will not have all the crapware that came preinstalled from the factory.

I did this to my wifes laptop just recently and it now has over 20 less processes running in the background compared to the factory install. The system now runs far better than it ever did. And it doesn't crash every other day anymore. In fact it hasn't crashed once since I did it over a month ago. ;)

Go to Dell's site and grab all the latest drivers for your system using your service tag.

Chipset drivers
video drivers
audio drivers
LAN drivers
Wireless LAN drivers
Touch pad drivers

Download vista SP1 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f559842a-9c9b-4579-b64a-09146a0ba746&displaylang=en).

Put them on a thumbdrive or other portable media.

Don't install any of the Dell utility software unless you specifically have a need for it.

Install the chipset drivers first, then the video drivers. After that you can install the rest of the drivers as you want. Then install SP1. Then get the rest of windows updates.

PrntRhd
08-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Some fixes for slow Vista can also be found here:
http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/index.html

Yoshi Fan
08-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks, I'll check into that.

Also, I have 2GB of RAM.
I've already un-installed all of the crap I didn't want, but it still runs slow. I heard that re-installing a clean version of Vista is really good.

jlreich
08-23-2008, 11:46 PM
Some fixes for slow Vista can also be found here:
http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/index.html
I tried "Tweak #4: Kernel Paging and Cache Tuning" and it seems to have worked quite well. :cool:

I have 8GB ram so I wasn't worried about not having enough ram for programs. It bumped up my ram usage from an idle average of 16% up to 20%. But I would say if you have less than 4GB I would try it and run any ram hungry programs you use to make sure it isn't slowing them down or causing them to complain about running out of memory. If it does, change it back.

I've already un-installed all of the crap I didn't want, but it still runs slow. I heard that re-installing a clean version of Vista is really good.
I did the "factory clean up" when my wife got her laptop and it helped. But doing a clean install and getting rid of the bloated factory install made a huge difference. I wish I had done it before she even got to use it. For several months she dealt with it crashing all the time and didn't really tell me the extent. Once I realized it was happening so much and after all the hardware checking out OK I told her to back up her data I wiped it and did a clean install. Like day and night. Went from crashing at least every other day to no crashes in over a month. ;)