PDA

View Full Version : please help!!!

dave
10-03-2000, 02:14 AM
my system is a pentium2 300 with 32sdram memory
however the problem is my system propeties only show 12rams and this has slowed down my pc considerably.pls help

bassvax
10-03-2000, 03:41 AM
Don't know what OS you're using but if it is Win 98 or above I would suggest as least 64MB RAM. It seems as though your memory is being shared with something most likely on board video. Unless you install a separate video card and disable the on board video it will continue to draw RAM from your system. You may be able to adjust how much RAM is shared by going into the setup. Although 20MB seems like a lot of RAM being shared most of the systems I see have 8-11MB shared by default. Another likely problem could be a portion of the chip being damaged. Check the RAM for seating. Have you done anything to the system lately? Is this a new problem? Other than this I'm not sure...Jerry

[This message has been edited by bassvax (edited 10-03-2000).]

jangolion
10-03-2000, 11:07 AM
well if you r running 95 then 32mb is fine.....the question is did you just add more ram to your system if so it could just be a seating problem or you have two incompatable memory chip

registering only twelve mb is a wierd number try installing chips one bank at a time if it simms or one at a time for dimms an see how much is registered then you will know if you have a defective chip.....if it is simm the memory chip has to be the same in each bank...i would start here http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif