PDA

View Full Version : cpu temp

Pick
10-03-2000, 03:36 AM
I was wondering... what is a "safe" cpu temp?
I got my system to run... but after 20 mins I decided to check
the cpu temp(my motherboard has built-in temp check) and it read
167 F! being a novice, I am not sure if this is dangerous to my cpu
so I shut the computer off immediately, and won't turn it on until I
get the go-ahead from someone with more knowledge...
thanks in advance!
Pick

PS-thanks ixl & paleo pete, it was a cooling problem

jangolion
10-03-2000, 10:56 AM
well if you can read the cpu temp it means that you should have an automatic power down or alarm for when the system reaches unsafe temperatures you can also check it in the bios settings they should be automated......im not sure of the exact temp but you can never be too sure check heatsink, fans and make sure there are no open slots/vents in the back of your computer an that all fans are running- check power connections to the fan as well............hope this helps http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Bmcdanold
10-03-2000, 02:24 PM
That does sound a little high, my CPU usually runs around 100 degrees fahrenhiet, Its an AMD K6-2 500mhz with a big fan attached. What processor is yours and do you have a good working fan attached to it?

Rayista Geoff
10-04-2000, 07:44 AM
It sounds to me like there is a problem. How much of a problem depends on exactly which CPU you're using. The AMD Durons (and Athlons, I think) are designed to run at higher temps than older CPUs, but 167 is about the outer range of tolerance, I think, at least for a Duron. From what I've been told, if you're consistently hitting about 155 with a Duron you need to invest in more/bigger/better cooling. (Mine sits generally around 130, but then I don't use it for more than about 5 or 6 hours at a time.) If you're dealing with an older CPU, then 167 is I think way too high.

And as far as the alarm goes, it's true if you have a CPU monitor on the motherboard, then you may have in your motherboard drivers a temperature monitoring program. You may not though. And even if you do, mine at least defaulted to not being turned on.

Geoff