PDA

View Full Version : Adding RAM

Genevish
09-12-2000, 04:26 PM
My father-in-law was frustrated with the slowness of the PC a local shop built for him. He only had 32 megs of RAM, so I suggested he add more. He bought another chip (32 megs I think) and installed it, but it's not being recognized.

Does he need to change something in the BIOS? I'm trying to walk him through things on the phone, which isn't easy...

Thanks in advance...

-Scott

ReddDogg
09-12-2000, 05:59 PM
it is not recognized, I assume he put the new chip in the second ram slot. Have you tried taking out old 32 card and only putting in the new 32 card to see if will boot? This would verify that the ram chip is good. Next, try putting new ram chip in first slot, old one in second slot, and see what that does. I am not a big bios expert, so someone else will have to make some recommendations on that one, I don't want to lead you to deep right feild http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/cool.gif

Good luck talking him through it over the phone, that is what I do for a living, talk people through internet problems over the phone.

------------------
Joe Redd
MCP

der King Mongo
09-12-2000, 06:54 PM
How comfortable is your pop inside a computer? The last time I tried to walk somebody through something like that, they fried the memory. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

I like Redd's suggestions, swapping the RAM is the best way to check. BUT, you might also list the make & model of the computer, DELL's are notoriously picky about the timing? on their memory, as are most OEMs (someone back me up there). And, of course, the RAM could be bad. Happens often enough. RMA!!

------------------
***He who eats when he is full, digs his grave with his teeth***

der King Mongo
09-13-2000, 01:54 AM
UPDATE: Oh...uh...dumbass...I guess all that BS I wrote about "OEM" computers don't apply to a computer built up at a local shop. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif Nevermind.

------------------
***He who eats when he is full, digs his grave with his teeth***

Paleo Pete
09-13-2000, 08:10 AM
Yes, more info would help...
ReddDogg is on the right track I think, swap out the chips and see if the new one works. Make sure you tell him to be VERY careful about grounding himself on a bare metal spot on the chassis before touching the RAM chips, they are the most sensitive part of the computer to static electricity. Keep the computer plugged into a grounded outlet, but turned off, of course, while handling the RAM, and keep one hand on the bare metal.

Explanation: It takes 2000 volts of static electricity for you to feel it. It takes less than 100 volts to fry any component inside the computer.

Sometimes you also have to go into the BIOS, save changes and exit, but without changing anything. This simply shows the BIOS the new memory is there.

If the chips are different timings, 50ns, 60ns etc, the faster one should usually be placed in the first slot. The lower number is faster.

If this is 72 pin memory they have to be installed in pairs, single chips will not work. If it's 168 pin DIMM or SDRAM, one will work. Also it must be the right type of memory. EDO, Fast Page Mode, etc. Parity and non-parity can't be mixed.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

PJ
09-15-2000, 03:31 PM
Just a little note, in some cases memory has to added in pairs. If you do not add the memory in pairs it will not recognize, that is what happened in mine when I upgraded. You may want to have him look and see if he has two chips which may be 16 MB each he may need to get two more 16's or he can also probably add two 32's. good luck

Originally posted by Genevish:
My father-in-law was frustrated with the slowness of the PC a local shop built for him. He only had 32 megs of RAM, so I suggested he add more. He bought another chip (32 megs I think) and installed it, but it's not being recognized.

Does he need to change something in the BIOS? I'm trying to walk him through things on the phone, which isn't easy...

Thanks in advance...

-Scott

ReddDogg
09-15-2000, 07:31 PM
Paleo, some motherboards will recognize just one 72 pin ram chip by itself. I have a 486 system in my house that does just that. It is a compaq. It recognized 2 8 meg chips and one 16 meg chip and in windows showed 28 megs of ram... video was of course integrated.

I am sorry I forgot to mention the grounding part. That is the most important part of the process in my opinion. It is a good point, most computers do require pairs in ram when dealing with the 72 pin ram.

------------------
Joe Redd
MCP