PDA

View Full Version : WHAT'S THE TRICK TO SETUP CD-ROM?

pctech
09-21-2000, 06:01 PM
I'm setting up a 8.4GB hard drive on a 133MHZ PC. I have it partition into
C,D,E,F at about 2GB each. I have loaded DOS 6.22 onto the C drive. then
I loaded the CD-Rom driver into C. The driver automatically changed my autoexec.bat and config.sys files. but I can't get G: at the prompt to
loaded Windows98 on a cd-rom. My PC has detected the hard drive and cd-rom
on the setup routine. I also try to enable boot on 2nd ide drive on setup to try to load from cd-rom, no luck! what's the trick? please help!

Charles Kozierok
09-21-2000, 07:01 PM
Hard to say, but the problem might be MSCDEX.EXE. You need this to load from the autoexec.bat file. The driver setup for the CD-ROM should do this for you but not all do.
Do you get an error message or anything? Try posting the autoexec.bat and config.sys files here so we can see what's up there.

PS Do you really want four small partitions instead of one large one? Windows 98 supports FAT32 and you could put that whole drive in one partition and make your life a lot easier...

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

pctech
09-21-2000, 07:23 PM
thx for the quick reply, I thought the problem was with the DOS 2gb limit so I use Maxtor EZDrive setup which gave it 4 partition. Is there another way to load Windows98 without a cd-rom setup. I can get as far as setting up DOS 6.22 on C drive. the cd-rom driver said setup was sucessful but when the pc boots up it saids something like can find MSD000 file. I'll try and post the error message at later time. I'd like to know what's the procedure to setup a new hard drive and put DOS and Windows98 on it. thanks
again!

work2rule
09-21-2000, 08:30 PM
Can you get a prompt at drive F. If not, maybe your problem is your drive letter settings. This is just a guess. I seem to recall that you can only go up to drive E, unless you add lastdrive=z in your config.sys, or something to that effect. Also you can check the /l switch with mscdex.exe to see what letter is indicated there. Maybe an experienced techie can confirm or reject this hypothesis. Anyway, good luck.

work2rule
09-21-2000, 08:32 PM
Can you get a prompt at drive F. If not, maybe your problem is your drive letter settings. This is just a guess. I seem to recall that you can only go up to drive E, unless you add lastdrive=z in your config.sys, or something to that effect. Also you can check the /l switch with mscdex.exe to see what letter is indicated there. Maybe an experienced techie can confirm or reject this hypothesis. Anyway, good luck.

Paleo Pete
09-21-2000, 10:12 PM
I think work2rule is real close. Write down the contents of your autoexec.bat & config.sys files and post them, I'd like to have a look at them too. Either the "Last Drive" command or the "/l" switch is your problem, it looks like.

If you really, really, really want DOS too...I use DOS on older machines, but gave it up on my win98 machine to use FAT 32.

To install DOS & Win 98: (this will be a long post, and will assume you know nothing about DOS) Commands you type will be in bold, press [Enter] after each command. Type all commands exactly as you see them, and remember to add the spaces, they're necessary.

If you want to use DOS you'll have to use FAT16. If so, keep the 2GB partitions, that's all FAT 16 will use. As ixl said, win98 will use FAT 32, which is faster, and makes more economical use of available drive space, by using different size clusters than FAT 16. If you decide to go with FAT 32, that's an entirely different ball game, we'll deal with it later....

Boot to a the DOS install disk, (disk #1). At the A:\> prompt type:
setup
The rest of the installation is easy, just follow the onscreen prompts.

After DOS is installed boot to the win98 start up disk, and choose Start Computer with CD ROM Support (From your post you're already familiar with this part.)
Note: I always copy the install files to the hard drive and install from there. We'll assume you'll copy them to the F: partition.

At the A:\> prompt type:
F: to change to F drive, then md win98 Which creates a win98 directory on that drive. Then change to the CD ROM drive which will be G or H. We'll use H. All you do is type H: to change drives. (Don't forget the colon.)

cd win98 will change to the win98 directory on H: drive, then type:
copy *.* F:\win98 Remember to put spaces after copy and before F: This copies everything in the win98 directory on the CD ROM to the directory on F drive you just created.
After all files are copied, change back to the F drive, type F:
Then change to the win98 directory, cd win98, and type setup This will begin the win98 installation proxcess, from there it's not much different than installing DOS, but takes longer and has a few more options. I always use the Custom install so I can pick what I want to use and drop the Online services, etc.

If you don't want to copy the install files to the hard drive, just boot to the win98 start up disk, and switch to the CD ROM drive, and then to the win98 directory, and type setup.

If you decide to go with FAT 32, you'll have to run fdisk and start over from scratch, which is actually what I would do in the first place. But if you want DOS on it, they will work together, provided you use FAT 16, and smaller partitions. The 2GB partitions you already have set up will work fine.
Sounds like the drive is already basically set up, no need to format it, since you said you can set up DOS 6.22. DOS won't install unless the drive is ready to go.

Post those autoexec.bat and config.sys files, and we'll try to get the CD ROM working. Then you'll be in good shape, the rest is no problem.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

andyb
10-02-2000, 12:39 PM
Want a real short quick answer?
You've done most of the work already... You have a FAT or FAT32 partition set up. The easiest way to install Win98 (Full Version) is to simply boot from the CDROM and let let it sort itselt out.
If you go to your system BIOS or SETUP screen during the POST, and set your Boot Device order so the CDROM is first on the list. Insert a legit copy of Win98 in the drive and restart the machine.
You may get a prompt asking if you want to boot from CDROM - if so say yes and "Bob's your fathers brother".
If you want to install DOS you can put it on one of your other partitions, although I have to say in this age, I can't see the point - If you want to play around at the command line get Linux set up, its more fun and you'll be learning something constructive. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

pctech
10-02-2000, 07:38 PM
Thanks everyone for you replies! all your tips has led me down the right path. I'm a novice at setting up Windows 98! Anyway, I created a startup disk from another pc with Windows 98. I did have to format the drive and creat one drive C: with FAT32 as you recommended. (I had to remove the 3rd party Maxtor EZ-Drive software because it conflicted with Windows 98 setting up.)