PDA

View Full Version : E6420 Overclock Advice

Ringo~Bingo
12-26-2008, 05:28 PM
I have read that overclocking this particular chip is pretty easily done and was hoping that I could get some advice on how to do this from you guys?

It's native speed is 2.13 GHz and I read an online review that said they were able to get them over 3000 with just the stock fans in the PC! now I'm not that extreme as I want to get them around the 2700 mark just to be safe while giving myself a nice little boost in performance, so could you advise on if this really is the case in regards to it's supposed ease and if so could you give me some simple to follow advice on how I could do this?

Thanks.

OH! here's the specs of the PC if that's important to this?

Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
Processor
Model Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E6420
cache 2MB
Front Bus Speed 1066 MHz
Motherboard
Socket LGA 775
Number of PCI slots (total/free) 2 conventional PCI, 3 PCI Express x1, 1 PCI Express x16 or 2 x 8 (SLI mode)
Memory
Memory Type DDR2 533 / 667 Mhz
Installed memory 2048MB DDR
Hard Disk Drive
HDD size 500GB SATA
HDD rotation speed 7200rpm SATA
CD-RW/DVD-RW
Optical drive DVD+/-R9
Graphics
Chipset NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600GTS
Integrated on motherboard or on AGP Slot PCI
Dedicated video memory 256MB DDR

Lord Vader
01-01-2009, 09:15 PM
I come from a different school of thought...it's a simple one. Don't do it.

jlreich
01-01-2009, 10:04 PM
OH! here's the specs of the PC if that's important to this?
Oh yes that's very important. Overclocking is not just overclocking the CPU, but you are really overclocking the entire system and that takes an overall solid system. You will only be able to go as high as the weakest part of your system from the power supply on up.

If this is an OEM system like a Dell or HP you are not going to be able to OC since they don't usually put any OC ability into the BIOS.

saphalline
01-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Need mobo model, BIOS version, and RAM model.