PDA

View Full Version : 2 PC networking without hub, possible?

meek
10-06-2000, 06:22 PM
Is it possible to internetwork 2 PCs without a hub, by just using an RJ45 cross cable? How do you set that up especially regarding the IP settings (gateway IPs, etc.)on a Win 98 or 95?

StoneDragon
10-09-2000, 05:18 PM
I was just doing some searching for the same thing. You can check out this place (http://www.homepcnetwork.com/cable.htm) for info on how to do this using a parallel or serial connection.

meek
10-10-2000, 04:17 AM
Thanks pal for the info, I was enlightened.

andyb
10-10-2000, 01:07 PM
Ok - yeah you can use a crossover cable if you have network cards installed in both machines... and if you're linking up for games playing then you'll appreciate the speed advantage this has over a straight serial or parallel link.

If you are using a crossover cable the network set up is exactly the same as it would be if you were using a hub... except you can only link 2 machine (obvious really).

The easiest network protocol to use is NETBUEI as it require nearly no configuration, but most games now will want an IP or IPX protocol installed.

If you need to know how to set these up post let me know.. its a bit long winded but not really very tricky...