PDA

View Full Version : on board sound

mstamper
10-16-2000, 11:36 PM
I have reformatted my six month old AMD 533 PC and discovered that I have no sound. Everything is working great except the sound and color which right now is only 256 instead of the 16 million that I should have. It has the socket 7 motherboard. The company that I bought the PC from will not help by providing a driver to activate the on-board sound. I got no motherboard book or system CD with the PC. All I got was the W-98 second edition CD. How do I get the sound back?. The numbers on boot up are MVP4 686A 2A5LHFOAC-00 if this helps.

Paleo Pete
10-17-2000, 03:16 AM
could have sworn I posted a reply earlier, and it seems to not be here now...

The number you posted is the BIOS ID string. Go to my site below, look for the AMI or Award sites, and you should find info to identify your motherboard. If you don't find it there, go to the top link, Trish's, and in the Motherboard/BIOS section look for Wim's BIOS site,. Identify the board and you might be able to find a manual, then go to either of the driver links on my page, and you'll find drivers for the sound card. The manual should tell you what sound card it has.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

mstamper
10-17-2000, 07:32 AM
I have searched hi and low and can't find the driver that I need to activate my on board sound card. I give up. PC going to dump today.

teknicat
10-25-2000, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by mstamper:
I have reformatted my six month old AMD 533 PC and discovered that I have no sound. Everything is working great except the sound and color which right now is only 256 instead of the 16 million that I should have. It has the socket 7 motherboard. The company that I bought the PC from will not help by providing a driver to activate the on-board sound. I got no motherboard book or system CD with the PC. All I got was the W-98 second edition CD. How do I get the sound back?. The numbers on boot up are MVP4 686A 2A5LHFOAC-00 if this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
MVP4 is a new trident chipset (may also be named Apollo). i had a very similar problem, (my motherboard was a MI5VP4and the chipset was a VT82C686A) and i solved it by installing the drivers from VIATech.
the address is http://www.viatech.com/drivers/index.htm u may want to give it a try but *********make sure that your chipset really is an MVP4 before atempting to install these drivers.*******

hope this may help you!
^_^