PDA

View Full Version : Voice Sound Card

Shirleeg
11-01-2000, 10:45 AM
I did a complete restore on my computer trying to get sound back. For the past 3 months I have been using the internet phone to call my sister in Atlanta, I hear her but she can't hear me. I don't know what happened...one day I could talk and the next day I couldn't. I have check all settings, nothing on mute, all the volume controls are adjusted correctly and there is a check by microphone. I have a check by microphone also. I was told that the trouble was in my hardware. Is there a download for this or will I have to take my computer in to a shop?

Thanks (from a real dummy)

Shirlee

------------------
Shirlee

Paleo Pete
11-01-2000, 10:05 PM
You might be looking at the wrong volume controls. If you open the Vlume Cntrolswindow by double clicking the speaker icon in the task tray, click Options then Properties. You'll see a button for Recording Controls this is where you have to have the mic turned up to send a signal through the Internet, or to the sound recorder. Click the Recording Controls button to put a dot in it then click ok, and you'll see the recording controls. Turn the mic up there, and see if it makes a difference. The control in Playback Controls adjusts the mic volume that goes through your speakers.

You can check the mic using the Sound Recorder which is usually in the Entertainment folder in Accessories. If it works there, it should work with voice communication applications.

And make sure you have the mic plugged into the correct jack, of course...

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

Shirleeg
11-01-2000, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Paleo Pete:
You might be looking at the wrong volume controls. If you open the Vlume Cntrolswindow by double clicking the speaker icon in the task tray, click Options then Properties. You'll see a button for Recording Controls this is where you have to have the mic turned up to send a signal through the Internet, or to the sound recorder. Click the Recording Controls button to put a dot in it then click ok, and you'll see the recording controls. Turn the mic up there, and see if it makes a difference. The control in Playback Controls adjusts the mic volume that goes through your speakers.

Hi Paleo!!!!!

Thank you sooooo much!!!!!. It works and I have been worrying with this for 1 week. I now know where to go for help if I need it again.

Again...THANKS!!!

Shirley :-) :-) :-)

You can check the mic using the Sound Recorder which is usually in the Entertainment folder in Accessories. If it works there, it should work with voice communication applications.

And make sure you have the mic plugged into the correct jack, of course...

http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Shirlee

Paleo Pete
11-02-2000, 10:13 PM
You're welcome...

If you only knew how many times I've helped people do the exact same thing on mplayer...It's very common that people don't know they have two volume controls, not one. One for playback, and the other for recording. One controls the sound you hear from your speakers, the other controls the sound that goes to the sound recorder and out through the modem.

That's why I suggest people test their mic's with the sound recorder. If the sound recorder picks it up, it will work on the Internet. If it won't, something's still not right.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)