PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Operations

BigBlue66
11-07-2000, 12:07 PM
Hi All,

I am constantly getting "illegal operations", page fault errors and occasionally, "fatal exception" errors, although those have decreased since I messed around with getting the correct amount of cacheable ram in the 'puter.

These errors occur with almost any software or even the control panel. I have Norton SystemWorks 2001. It does not report any problems with either the registry or applications. Dr. Watson cannot find "anything that is obviously unusual".

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling some of the more troublesome software, such as desktop publishing. (Print Shop v11, Print Master Platinum, Print Artist Platinum) These programs seem to give me the most grief, and they were giving me error messages even before I upgraded anything.

I recently upgraded the computer with the following parts:

From 32mg to 64mg EDO ram
WD ATA/66 HD
Memorex 48x CD-Rom/DVD
Voodoo 4500 PCI video board
Creative Labs Sound Blaster 512PCI
U.S. Robotics 56k faxmodem
ViewSonic A75s 17" monitor

Norton is telling me there are no conflicts and so does device manager. Note: Norton did find a buttload of errors, mostly in the registry, and "fixed them all".

Is this just a software problem? If so, short of uninstalling it and tossing it in the junk, what do I do next?

Thanks.

BigBlue66

Paleo Pete
11-07-2000, 06:19 PM
Illegal Operation Errors are hard to troubleshoot. Takes a bit of patience.

Read through the PC Guide's Optimization Chapter (http://www.pcguide.com/opt/opt/index.htm) and pay close attention to the BIOS section. Internal and External caching should be enabled, Video BIOS and System BIOS chaching should be enabled, Video Pallette Snoop should be disabled and check through the others, and see what else may not be set right. The BIOS Survival Guide (http://www.manawatu.gen.nz/pages/bios_survival/bios_sg.htm) is very good too.

Use the [F8] key to get to the boot menu and choose Command Prompt Only At the C:\> prompt, type:

scanreg /fix let scanreg repair the registry and reboot. Remember the command must have a space between scanreg and /fix. If yo suspect recently installed software, use the command scanreg /restore

Use the [F8] key to get to the boot menu, and choose Step by Step Confirmation and press Y to these:
Load Double Space Driver
Process the System Registry
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS
Load the Windows graphical User Interface
Load all Windows Drivers

Press N to all others, and see how it runs. Add one line at each reboot and see if the problem comes back. (If it ever went away) When it starts again, the last line you added will give you a clue to the cause.

Causes of General Protection Faults (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q82/7/10.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0) might help. I've searched the MS knowledge base a dozen times for illegal operation errors, and can find little without the exact error message. Search the Microsoft Knowledge Database (http://search.microsoft.com/us/SearchMS25.asp)

Also, I would suspect Norton's System Works. I can't back it up, but I've heard several claims that it causes more problems than it fixes. Again, I can't verify or support that claim...Just a thought...

If you're running win98 you can go to Start\Run and type msconfig and click the Start Up tab, Leave these:

Scan Registry
Task Monitor
System Tray
Load Power Profile

and anything related to your antivirus. Everything else can go, and all can be added again later. Re add one at a time and see if it's a program running in the background.

Memory could be having problems, bad chip maybe, older drivers could be suspect...

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

jd911
11-07-2000, 10:10 PM
Norton could very easily be the culprit. I run several different machines that have it installed in various parts. Those machines without it don't have problems, those with it tend to have many problems. It is also possible that the OS in general could be the problem. You might try monitoring your system resources to see if you are running low on sys resources since Blue Screens of Death are usually caused by two programs trying to use the same space in memory.

BigBlue66
11-09-2000, 12:06 AM
Hey thanks guys. I must inform you that Norton has only been installed on the machine for about a week and a half. Actually, things are running much smoother after it fixed some errors. I only occasionally get error messages now, as opposed to about three weeks of unrelentless error messages before that.

I have to defend Norton as I have used it for many years and have never had a problem that was directly caused by it. I think you guys are right with directing me to take a look at the bios and the step-by-step process of eliminating the start-up programs. I will try that and get back to you in a week or so to let you know how it went. Unfortunately, other events in my life right now have to take precedence over messing around with this 'puter.

BTW, I have already msconfigged it and the only programs I have loading are the ones Paleo Pete pointed out. Again, these problems started before I even took the case apart, so I am really starting to think it is from one or more of the desktop publishing programs. I have also messed with the bios and I am pretty sure I have everything enabled and disabled that is supposed to be. I will peruse those sites mentioned and double-check everything though. Thanks again for the tips.

Kind Regards,

BigBlue66