PDA

View Full Version : remove and restore hard drive

amaay
11-20-2000, 08:03 PM
I plan on getting a new computer in the near future, but I have to surrender my current computer to my sister now. My computer currently runs on Windows95b and I have 2 hard drives installed in it, both using FAT32). My C: drive contains programs, and my D: drive contains data files. I would like to somehow hold onto the data in my D: drive until I get my new computer, and then transfer the data to my new computer. I figure I have 2 options, but both are dependant on if there is a way to remove a hard drive without erasing anything on it and then installing it onto another computer without reformating or erasing anything on it.

Option 1:
Remove hard drive from my computer and install it onto another computer running Windows95b. This computer also has a CD-writer, so I would just copy all my data from my hard drive onto CDs and then copy the CDs onto my new computer when I get it.

Option 2:
Remove hard drive from my computer and install it into my new computer when I get it. *Possible problem I see is that if my new computer run Windows Millenium or whatever instead, will it reject my old hard drive?

Are there any other options I'm not thinking of? I have about 2.1GB of data I'd like to save.

I guess my main questions are:

1. How do I remove a hard drive without damaging it? Do I just need to run fdisk, delete the partition, and physically remove the drive?

2. Can I restore a hard drive onto another computer?

Thank you so much,
amy

crypie
11-20-2000, 08:15 PM
Yes, you can install your old hard drive as a slave in your new computer, and unless you have an operating system that is currently on that you shouldnt have a problem, err well actually you shouldnt have a problem anyway, because windows me will just see it as just another drive, with data on it.

------------------
w00p w00p (http://www.w00p.org)

Reid
11-20-2000, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by amaay:

1. How do I remove a hard drive without damaging it? Do I just need to run fdisk, delete the partition, and physically remove the drive?
Thank you so much,
amy

DO NOT fdisk and delete the partition, that will destroy your data. As far as removing the hard drive, use static precautions and of course avoid dropping it.

Crypie is correct. The drive can be installed in another computer as a Slave and it wouldn't matter if it had an operating system on it. (I run two hard drives with switches to swap the Master and Slave settings. When one drive boots, it doesn't care that the other disk is also bootable.)

------------------
rdrummond@thesimpsons.com

rUzz
11-21-2000, 02:51 AM
First Timer,
Amaay I think you could have done this on your own. It sounds like you won't have a problem wiring in the the data drive to the new drive. If the data drive contains a Master Boot Record (IO.SYS,MSDOS.SYS,COMMAND.COM files, normal boot records for a typical hard-drive with one partition as c:\) you might have some trouble. If you set the data drive as slave (in your CMOS accesssed by holding delete key or F10 during boot up)windows will read the drive as slave and assign a drive letter accordingly. No matter if the exisiting partition is labeled drive c:\ your CMOS desides that. Delete the OS off the data hard-drive so your new mother board won't freak when your MBR off your data drive starts loading gear to run your? security camera system, Big screen TV, network settings, video adapter, first alert, subwoofer etc.
I have ben through this experience myself and I will give you support if you need it.

rUzz
ruzz@antisocial.com

Paleo Pete
11-21-2000, 08:44 AM
Reid and Crypie are correct, simply unbolt the drive from the current machine and store it in an antistatic bag until you need it, in most cases the data will be usable in the new computer with no problems.

The only time you would have a problem would be if it also had an operating system installed, but even then it would be basically ignored, as Reid said.

fdisk will not be necessary.

------------------
Soon as I come up with all the answers...they change the questions!!

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

amaay
11-22-2000, 11:35 AM
thanks everyone. i think my D: drive might have the MBR files because when I first installed the drive, someone told me that including those files would speed up the data transfer rate between drives or something. I'll make sure to install the drive as a slave and if I run into problems, I'll delete those files. One more question though..if I don't delete the partition off the old computer, won't it still look for it every time I boot up the computer?

Paleo Pete
11-22-2000, 04:42 PM
Partitions are not machine specific, if you pull a drive from one computer and put it in another it will do the exact same thing it did in its previous home. The only problem would be if it already has windows installed, and is the boot drive. Then problems may occur due to motherboard specific drivers from the other machine. In that case reinstalling Windows is always recommended.

If you pull the drive and use it as a slave, you shouldn't have any problems, Windows will be installed on the Master drive, not the Slave, and should read the secondary drive without any problems. Even if it has Windows installed, it's not the boot drive, and shouldn't be a problem. If it does have windows installed I would format it just to be on the safe side, after backing up nay crucial data I wanted to save.

------------------
Soon as I come up with all the answers...they change the questions!!

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)