PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard (usb)

hopeless
10-06-2000, 08:56 PM
Hope someone can help. I purchased a web cam and was told it is easy to instal, ya right. My PC had no USB port so I contacted the retailer and was told that there was an ATX form card available or my motherboard that provides 2USB ports, 1 IR port and 1 mouse port. The instructions were to install the card to the motherboard and enter BIOS to enable USB port. Done that installed software for camera. Well the cam does not work!! I returned the form card and was given another to install-you no sometimes it can be a bad part grrrrrrrrrrr...... Well still no luck. I returned the camera and exchanged for another but yet still no luck. The message I get is " cannot find camera-please see if it is plugged into the USB port. I have checked in my system properties and it notes the device(USB ports) are working properly. Anyone have any ideas besides burning it? My mother board is a Matsonic BX PRO with onboard sound video and modem. Operating
system is Windows 98 second edition. CPU Intel Celeron 433 and 64 MB ram if that makes any difference? The shop I bought the computer from has since went bankrupt and the mother board website is cra**y

Lynnguist
10-07-2000, 02:54 AM
I would suggest that you purchase a PCI USB card (if you have an available PCI slot) install that and go from there. If you go this route you will not need to enable USB in BIOS.

------------------
Lynn

Hasni Arif
10-08-2000, 12:19 AM
I would like to tell you that first of all you must make sure that your physical connection with the pc is not loose. then make sure that you are installing the right software because now a days we get so many softwares with in a package with one thing and sometimes it happens that we dont install the right software thats why it does not work. i experienced the same massage when i installed my new scanner but i figured it out after playing with it for a little bit time. so good luck to u!!! http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/wink.gif

hopeless
10-09-2000, 01:57 PM
Well I have all but lost hope. THe connections are tight, proper software is installed, according to the camera manufacturers web site. Mabe the best thing to do at this point is to toss the whole out the window. I can then purchase a new system with all these gadgets installed and the store worry about geting it up and running!!! It is puzzling that my system notes that the USB hubs are working properly but when you double click on the camera icon I get a message that the camera can not be found.

It is a mystery. Thanks for the info.

Lynnguist
10-10-2000, 03:52 AM
I would suggest that you purchase a PCI USB card (if you have an available PCI slot) install that and go from there. If you go this route you will not need to enable USB in BIOS. The reason that I suggest this is that the onboard USB on certain motherboards doesn't work properly, especially if the motherboard is pre WIN 98 (built before WIN 98 was formally introduced).

The confusing thing to me is that ATX form boards have USB ports but AT boards often do not even if the mother board supports it (has a place to plug into the board).

Have you tried plugging in a different USB device to see if that one works?
------------------
Lynn

------------------
Lynn

hopeless
10-10-2000, 08:10 PM
Well Lynne,

I am a little happier tonight, the PCI-USB card worked! I never thought i would see the day. However, with one working another fails. The camera is operational but when I try to send an image via E-mail I get a message caused a page error in: MAPISP32 in module KERNEL32.DLL Well I will monkey wit it some more. But I would like to thank you by sending you electronic bouqet. Many thanks

Hopeless http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif