PDA

View Full Version : systems registry

supernova
09-08-2000, 11:45 AM
When I turn on computer I get 'windows found an error accessing the system registry. windows will restart and repair the system registry for you. It goes down and then comes up with 'windows found an error in your system files and restored a recent backup of the files to fix the problem.' I've rebooted soft hd and fdisk also and it seems fixed for a few days, then problem starts again. Sometimes I get 'timed out waiting for connection manager.' Other times, the system seems to fix itself. Then back to the system registry checks. Emachine techs say that they've never seen anything like it. Any ideas out there? I'd hate to return machine for a refurbished replacement and am losing money in the meantime.

[This message has been edited by supernova (edited 09-08-2000).]

ReddDogg
09-08-2000, 01:55 PM
emachine techs say they have never seen anything like it? I have seen similar things happen with emachine computer before, if you can return computer and get refurbished any name but emachine that would be best move. But, if you want to fix this one, it sounds like there is a program running in the background that is making changes to registry that might be causing the problem. I am curious about some of the facts. you saided you have rebooted soft hd and fdisk also? You mean you ran a system recovery disk, and when that didn't work you reformated and ran fdisk to recreate the partition? And this is windows 98?

------------------
Joe Redd
MCP

dale
09-08-2000, 04:55 PM
Sounds like the system was powered off without a proper shutdown. Do you have clean power going to it?

dale

supernova
09-08-2000, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by supernova:
When I turn on computer I get 'windows found an error accessing the system registry. windows will restart and repair the system registry for you. It goes down and then comes up with 'windows found an error in your system files and restored a recent backup of the files to fix the problem.' I've rebooted soft hd and fdisk also and it seems fixed for a few days, then problem starts again. Sometimes I get 'timed out waiting for connection manager.' Other times, the system seems to fix itself. Then back to the system registry checks. Emachine techs say that they've never seen anything like it. Any ideas out there? I'd hate to return machine for a refurbished replacement and am losing money in the meantime.

[This message has been edited by supernova (edited 09-08-2000).]

"System is Windows 98. I used CDRestore from Emachine as per tech instructions. Forgot to mention, many times I get the message "timed out waiting for connection manager". I haven't loaded anything else on system except Earthlink internet and Hotmail one time but decided against Hotmail as it seemed to have a lot of glitches."
On a couple of occasions I had to manually turn off computer as it wouldn't even shut down automatically.

Charles Kozierok
09-08-2000, 07:25 PM
I am certain what is causing this problem at all. But I will say that lots of "free" internet access services seem to do terrible things to PCs.
I would recommend restoring an older registry version, but it seems that the registry damage is ongoing, is that correct?

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok ( ixlubb@PCGuide.com )
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...

ReddDogg
09-08-2000, 11:24 PM
Since this seems like a new pc, you might trying a complete reformat of the hard drive, and then reinstall windows 98. I would never go for an internet provider that makes me load their specialized software, if windows dial up networking isn't good enough, then I don't need them. (yes, I dislike aol alot, and yes, i have used it). Anyway, if you don't reformat the computer before reloading windows, it might not erase the problem file. If you can, I would get ahold of full version of windows 98 and install it, so you avoid the proprietary version of windows. I know, that is either expensive or illegal, but it is what i would do.

------------------
Joe Redd
MCP

supernova
10-10-2000, 10:47 PM
GUESS WHAT GUYS AND GALS? I READ EVERYONE'S ADVICE AND THEN SOME MORE, THEN I DID A LOT OF PRAYING...THE THOUGHT OF RETURNING A BRAND NEW MACHINE; PAY AROUND $150.00 TO MAIL AND THEN GET A REFURBISHED REPLACEMENT FROM EMACHINES DIDN'T TICKLE MY FANCY...SO WHAT DID I DO? I found InoculateIt Personal Edition for free from their website, ran the antivirus scan (incidently, no viruses showed up); and the computer has been doing great ever since. It sure came close to being thrown out the window though. THANK YOU PC GUIDE FAMILY FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND THANKS TO INOCULATEIT TO0! I don't understand why but I think when I loaded free internet access programs (hotmail, bluelight, juno) they must have somehow corrupted some files. I'm not sure but no more problems. But I'm not very impressed with Emachines tech support.