PDA

View Full Version : Random Boot Failure

Sighbrrgal
10-06-2000, 05:02 PM
Okay, I have a random boot failure. I've checked for boot viruses, scanned hard disk, checked for bad sectors, run the fdisk /mbr, run a ton of maintenance stuff and nothing is wrong. I have a Seagate 6.4 HD and it's only about 6 months old. It replaced another Seagate HD that was also only 6 months old. Coinky-dink? I think not!

But I ran Seagate's Disc Tools Diagnostics and sometimes it sees the hard drive and sometimes it doesn't.

However, sometimes I can boot and sometimes I can't. Also, occasionally when I shutdown from Win 98, the dang thing will reboot itself.

I'm at a loss. Nothing else is happening and all the programs and peripherals run just fine. Not a single problem.

help help help

Thanks in advance.

Sighbrrgal
10-06-2000, 05:18 PM
I forgot to mention that I already changed the battery. That's what we thought the initial problem was to begin with!

Breezwell
10-11-2000, 07:07 PM
I have found that random boots often can lead to problems with RAM. Try switcing out some RAM and see if your problem does not go away. I have had cases where I have tried to insall completely new hard drives thinking that the drive was bad when in fact it was the RAM.

Hope this helps a little.

------------------
Support bacteria, it is the only culture some people have......

Sighbrrgal
10-11-2000, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the reply. I too thought it was the RAM. But, I was totally upgrading and bought new RAM; that's not to say that the new RAM was bad, but I tested it out on my other computer.

I finally figured out what the problem was....through trial and error of course. So, I thought I would put the resolution here in case anyone else comes across the same problem.

When the old battery was dying (we were losing the correct time, the date was off by months, typical battery problems), we were losing settings in the BIOS setup.

When we installed the new battery, and reset all the parameters, we had the "Quick Boot" option enabled.

Problem was, however, that the BIOS was done before the hard drive (which was new also) hadn't finished booting up before the BIOS was done. Since it was intermittent, it was only intermittent when I cold booted. In a warm boot, the hard drive was already up and running just fine.

I disabled the "Quick Boot" function and haven't had a problem since.

Thanks again!

Originally posted by Breezwell:
I have found that random boots often can lead to problems with RAM. Try switcing out some RAM and see if your problem does not go away. I have had cases where I have tried to insall completely new hard drives thinking that the drive was bad when in fact it was the RAM.

Hope this helps a little.