PDA

View Full Version : repartition HD without loosing data

waisto
12-09-2000, 12:29 AM
Here's the situation: I've been given a computer with 1 physical drive divided in 3 logical drives (4 HD total). I don't like the way things are organised (too ennoying & confusing). How can I bring it back to only 1 drive (c http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif without "repartitioning" and loosing the software(s) already installed ? Does any one know of a way or a utility I can use to do that?I'll appreciate any input.

------------------
waisto

sleddog
12-09-2000, 06:11 AM
Partition Magic can manipulate partitions without losing data. I've used it a lot without any problems. Its commercial software. Whether it can do your job may depend on available disk space.

You could (a) copy all files from D: to C:, then using Partition Magic, (b) delete D: (c) resize and move the extended partition that still contains logical drives E: and F: (d) resize the primary partition C: to include the new free space. Then repeat this process for drives E: and F:

There may be other approached you can take, but you get the idea.

If any of the logical drives contain programs, they likely have Windows registry entries pointing to their path. These will be wrong when moved them to C:, so you may have to re-install as the easiest way out.

Personally I prefer a partitioned hard drive -- where the operating system and applications are separate from my own data. Recently I pulled a harddrive from my old P100 and installed it in a new Celeron 600. I could easily wipe the primary partition and re-install the OS, leaving all my data on the extended partition intact and ready to go.

waisto
12-09-2000, 09:36 PM
Thanks sleddog. I kind of like the idea of seperating the OS and the data. I'll try to organise things that way. If I'm not satisfied, I'll look into Partition Magic. Thanks again !

------------------
waisto