PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious Problems

Astev
10-05-2000, 09:53 PM
I am having mysterious problems with my computer. About a month ago I had a problem with my printer printing. I kept getting amessage that it was out of paper when it had plenty. I took the printer (two years old) to get looked at. it is aok. The physical parallel port was tested and so was the cable- no problem. Then the floppy drive keeps its light on on bootup and stays on, and is inaccessible. I am at my wits end as to what to do. I cannot afford a new computer and I need this one to do my schoolwork-it is essential. I dont want to spend to much money. It is a two 3/4 year old system that has worked fine until now. It is a Pentium 166 MMX system with a Asus motherboard, Canon BJC 250 printer and a Panasonic floppy drive. Please help!

Thanks for your time. I am a huge fan of this site, and I am writing this message after extensive reference to the troubleshooting expert section of the pcguide.

Alex

Bmcdanold
10-05-2000, 10:45 PM
Sound like the cable is backwards on the floppy drive. If the cable is connected backwards, the light will stay on and the floppy wont work. It is possible that your floppy drive wore out and needs to be replaced.

Sowler
10-06-2000, 06:14 AM
I have had this excat same problem but with a T**Y laptop. I got it sent back it also had other problems I think they changed the motherboard. So try that if you can afford it and know how.

Paleo Pete
10-06-2000, 06:33 AM
1. Check the floppy cable, a sstated above, the cable is probably upside down. (The ribbon cable that connects from the drive to the motherboard.)

2. Download and install new drivers for the printer and see how it goes. Could also be that the pick up roller that pulls paper into the printer is dirty. Canons aren't easy to get into, (none of 'em are in fact), but if you can get the case open without breaking it, clean the roller with Q-tips and rubbing alcohol. Don't force anything inside the printer to turn or roll..

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

lorac
10-09-2000, 01:49 AM
After reading your problem with your Canon printer, I thought I might share a problem I had (and solved). I had a Canon printer and kept getting error messages, telling me to take the printer back for service/replacement (which I did). Then it happened again, and kept mysteriously happening. I called Canon and was told to check my printer cable and make sure it was a "Belkin 1284, bi-directional cable". I was using a 1284 compliant, bi-directional cable, but not a Belkin. I was told over and over that it would not make a difference and was discouraged from buying a new cable. Then it happened again, and I broke down and bought the Belkin cable. It NEVER happened again. It appears that Canon's are a bit fussy about the cable. If you are getting error messages BACK to your computer, it could be in the bi-directional signals. If you can get your hands on a Belkin cable, it might be worth the try!! http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/wink.gif

Astev
10-11-2000, 09:58 PM
Thanks everyone for trying to help. The problem is becoming even more mysterious. Now the floppy drive works, but now the CD rom doesn't. The printer doesn't either.

I suspect the problem is the motherboard. I would appreciate any suggestions on what I can do?

Once again, Thanks!
http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

Alex