PDA

View Full Version : Random Reset Problem in newly built

Bmcdanold
09-30-2000, 06:36 PM
I just built a new computer from scratch and I'm having one very frustrating problem with it. It will randomly reset itself as if i had pushed the button on the case. It tends to happen more so when I am running 3D applications (ie Theif or Need 4 Speed 4) My system configuration is as follows...

Epox EP-MVP3G-2 Super Socket 7 ATX Motherboard
AMD K6-2 500MHZ
128mb PC100 RAM (64mb,32mb,32mb configuration)
16gb UDMA-66 Hard Drive
32xMAX Nec CDROM
Diamond Stealth III (Savage4 S540Xtreme) 32MB AGP video card
Creative Sound Blaster Live Platinum
Linksys EtherPCI Lan Card II

I have plenty of cooling components and the BIOS doesn't read any cooling problems so I know its not that. I tried installing a different video card to see if that was the problem. I have tried reinstalling windows a couple of times but that doesn't work either. I even went as far as downloading and flashing the most current bios! I just cant seem to figure it out!

Paleo Pete
10-01-2000, 01:57 AM
Sounds a lot like heat, although you seem to have checked that. Maybe it's the power supply getting hot and restarting? Could also be CPU. Especially if overclocked. CPU could be getting hot due to insufficient heat transfer.

And do you have heat sink compound between the CPU and heat sink? It's available at Radio Shack for about $3 and a thin film on top of the CPU will help transfer heat better. Also make sure the CPU fan is blowing into the heat sink, not pulling air away from it. (NOTE: Some heat sinks are designed to work the opposite, but they are uncommon.)

All the case fans should move air in the same direction, check that too. You can turn the fans around if needed, to move the air in the right direction. If the power supply fan pulls air into the case, the secondary case fan should push it out the other side. MOst cases have an opening for a secondary fan, if you don't have one it might be a good idea.

Make sure the case is clean inside, remove as much built up dust as possible. I use a camera brush, but be careful not to knock any jumpers off. A can of compressed air is usually recommended to blow the dust off components.

Run the machine with the case off for a day or 2 and see if it solves the problem. If so, it's definitely heat. Since you seem to have checked everything else, I'd say take a close look at the power supply, maybe even try another one. Be very careful if you decide to take the power supply apart for cleaning, it has capacitors that can hold a charge and ruin your day.

Am I seeing a lot of heat problems with AMD CPU's or is it my imagination? I gotta check...

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

Bmcdanold
10-01-2000, 03:24 AM
I think i found the problem. After the computer had been running a while, i (grounded of course) felt around various components, ie mobo chipset, cpu, gpu (on video card) ram etc. And what i came up with, was... CPU cool, Chipset cool, GPU on Video Card VERY hot... It has metal heat fans on it, but they were very hot, i think my video card is just overheating, that would explain why it resets more when im running high end 3d applications. How do i go about putting a better heat sink on my GPU? I have a small fan, but i dont know how i would "attach" it. Should i just go buy a socket 7 processor fan and glue it with the adhesive stuff onto the GPU replacing the little metal thing thats there now?

Paleo Pete
10-01-2000, 12:33 PM
CPU fans usually attach with screws. See if you can find one that will fit the heat sink, and screws that will hold. Or invest in another video card...

If all else fails, you might be able to use a good contact cement or superglue etc to glue the fan to the heat sink fins. That's an iffy plan though, if it still gets hot it might melt the glue and drop the fan into the motherboard circuitry...

You might also check into the possibility that the video card could be still under warranty, and return it, also contact the manufacturer and see if they have any ideas, may be a known problem...

Also pull and reseat the card a few times to be sure it has good contact. Cleaning the contacts on the card with a red rubber pencil eraser might help.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Paleo Pete (edited 10-01-2000).]

Bmcdanold
10-01-2000, 01:22 PM
Ok heres what i did, i rearranged my case fans (2) so that they both blow air onto the video cards fins. It seems to help some. If it still resets, ill return the video card and get a better one. I got it for only 70 dollars so that might explain something about the quality. (ponders about getting an nVIDIA TNT2 Ultra...) The thing that kinda bugs me is that when i put a different video card in (an ATI Rage Fury) it also got hot and the system also reset. Im wondering if my AGP slot is defective or something. Everything but the hard drive should still be under warranty. Actually the CPU isn't, it was only a 15 day warranty hehe. Its just gonna take forever and its gonna be anoying trying to return the mobo if thats the problem.

Bmcdanold
10-01-2000, 08:00 PM
Ok, after adding the fan and everything, i got about oh 5 hours of 3d performance, but then it reset again. I checked the cpu, chipset and video card for heat, but nothing... grr this is frustrating!

Paleo Pete
10-02-2000, 01:53 AM
Motherboard might be the problem, and I'm wondering about the voltage going into the AGP slot...don't know if there's a jumper setting, but it's sounding like the AGP slot is getting too much voltage for some reason. Two different cards shouldn't have the same problem...

If it's still under warranty contact the manufacturer or the store where you bought it from and check into sending it back.

------------------

Bmcdanold
10-02-2000, 08:22 PM
Well i am able to return the motherboard to the place i bought it. They seem really cool about it. Hopefully it truly is defective otherwise i pay a 5 dollar inspection fee, the shipping it costs to send me the new one and also i have to pay to ship the defective one in the first place hehe.
Also paradisepc.com are really good people to deal with. They actually called me at home long distance to work out an issue with my order.

Bmcdanold
10-10-2000, 07:06 PM
GRRR THIS IS WAY TOO FRUSTRATING!!! I just replaced my motherboard...same frickin problem. Uhhggg!!!! ANY suggestions as to what to do next would be greatly appreciated!!

Bmcdanold
10-11-2000, 12:51 AM
I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!

I just realized that my motherboard came with a drivers cd that makes the system compatible with my motherboards VIA chipset. After i installed those the problems all ceased and everything runs a lot better! I feel like such an idiot forgetting about that hehe!

Paleo Pete
10-11-2000, 12:54 AM
OK, so we've pretty much ruled out motherboard...unfortunately it was a major hassle doing it, but that's not likely to be the problem. Wouldn't happen to have another video card sitting around would ya? Sorry to be the one to say it, but since you found a very hot video card, I think that's the next thing to try. If you can get your hands on an old PCI card that would do the trick, just for testing purposes. I would try PCI just to see if it's related to the AGP bus.

This is definitely heat related, and I think now we know where, just have to find a way around it. You might check Diamond's website too, see if they have any info about similar problems, or a useful tech support department. If it's still under warranty, returning it might only get you another one that also gets hot, but it might get tech support's attention...

Sure was hoping a CPU fan on the video card would work...or did you manage to attach one to the card? I kinda thought you did from a previous post, but not sure..

Hmmm...just reread, and it seems you already tried another AGP card...go ahead and try a PCI card, might be worth it to find out if it's something in the AGP system. I can't think of anything else, except a different brand motherboard....Yeah, I know, you didn't want to hear that...hehe

------------------

Bmcdanold
10-11-2000, 12:59 AM
Hehe, must be a slow server, your post came up moments after my last post, I got the computer to work good! It was just that drivers needed to be installed so that windows would work correctly with my motherboards VIA Chipset. As far as the video card...i guess it just runs hot, so i electrically taped a fan to it and now it stays good and cool. Thanks for all your help!

Paleo Pete
10-12-2000, 02:14 AM
Yeah, I saw that. Your post appeared after mine. Glad you got it to work, I was just about out of ideas. Never thought about the driver issue, some boards have to have those, especially with AMD processors.

------------------